Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Those look pretty iron-rich too (quite a lot of red in some of them). Whilst they will crumble much slower than the more dangerous calciferous varieties, those high iron levels will still (almost certainly) leach into the water, which will cause problems. It may not be now, but down the line it could well become a real issue. More disolved anythings, including iron, will raise Hardness, which can, in turn affect your PH. Thing is, if this only starts to be an issue later on, is the first thing you are going to take out to correct it going to be the rocks? Most people, probably myself included, will look at something much newer rather than something that has been there the whole time.

Its worth knowing the risks. I know the vast majority of aquarists avoid the risk completely by not using sandstone. Its unlikely anyone ever really knows what is in the sandstone.

No joke, licking it could clue you in to whether there are unwanted metals in it. if it tastes at all metallic, then its a definite no. It is a quick test used by geologists, but just because it doesn't will not guarantee it is free from harmful metals.

Personally unles it was a quartz-based one, I would be tempted to leave it.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Its an interesting idea. In theory, yes it should work. I have been thinking about it whilst I went fry-stuff shopping (for the mollies that have invaded my tank). So long as it is decently covered, I would expect it to stop or at least significantly hinder any release of anything. If you coat it well, havent missed anything and remove it if they do show any signs of errosion or cracking, it should be worth a shot. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts