Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So, after a fish passes away, how do you sanitize the tank? I've been reading up the various methods and they seem to include bleach, vinegar, or salt. What would you recommend? I'm a little scared about the bleach (would there be any way to test that I got rid of it all?), but if it works the best I'm sure I can do it properly. I've also read about boiling water, but how would that work with plastic plants, heater, and a glass tank?

I'd clean my tank, filter, heater, thermometer, fake plants, and decor rocks. I have another half a bag of gravel so I wouldn't have to worry about that. How would I clean an airstone? Does it absorb any bacteria?

Now, since it was from some sort of disease, should I just throw away my moss balls?

Also, my tank is a 10 gallon, would that be too much for just one betta and nothing else? I don't want him stressing out.

Thanks guys, you've been such a help throughout my fish-keeping experience. After Chibi passed a couple mornings ago I felt like giving everything up. :cry: But this community helps me keep going. I enjoy taking care of bettas and I want to continue it and you guys gave me hope that I still can. :love:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys!

A vinegar and salt scrub in hot water would be good :)
How exactly would I do this? Dilute the vinegar in water with salt? Or separate?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts