·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 77-80º
Does your tank have a filter? sponge filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? air stone on sponge filter
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Pellets and dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? three pellets a day of the Aqueon and a soaked blood worm or two a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Mon., Wed., and Fri.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? pond salt 1/8 tsp. per gal and BettaSafe water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? no

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White fluffy fungus
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? hangs out by the heater
When did you start noticing the symptoms? recurring infection currently one week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Quick Cure as per directions on bottle
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes this is the third time she has had this
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had her almost 2 years

This fish has had this type of infestation before. The first time I was able to "cure" it with frequent water changes and salt. The fungus was in small tufts all over. The second time I did the Quick Cure treatment and the glob of fungus dropped off after 3 days, the fungus was isolated to one spot near, but not in, the gill area. I looked at the stuff under a microscope at school and it definitely looked like the pictures of Saprolegnia, I also saw things moving in the clump like tiny bugs. The fungus came back after only a few days in the same spot and has not dropped off after the three day treatment of Quick Cure. I did a 50% water change and started treatment again.

My question is; should I continue with the malachite green/formalin or should I look harder to find methylene blue? My LFS no longer carries methylene blue even though they use themselves. Any advice?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts