Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a month ago i hadnt the slightest clue on how to take care of a betta. i hadnt even planned on owning any fish... but since then, ive bought a fish and read a LOT. and now it makes me sad every time i see stuff like this
http://voices.yahoo.com/why-betta-excellent-first-fish-children-298944.html?cat=53
on the internet. but a lot of the sites, like this yahoo link, require membership to comment. so i thought i would start a thread to post links to websites with inaccurate information so people on this forum can correct them and save a few bettas from small, cold, dirty tanks. because surely someone on here belongs to yahoo. or any other site. the link above says that she has a 2 gal (i believe) that she does 50% water changes ONCE A MONTH and she says bettas dont need heaters... so please help the cause. Post your links and write your replies :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
http://www.theaquablock.com/home.php
There's really no way to comment on this and I'm not going to send them a message, but this is stupid. It's 2 PINTS. They'll have a "care & cleaning" video soon, really want to see that >___>.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
contacting that aquablock site won't do you any good. you'll get an automated e-mail and never get any further. :I

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hmmm I wonder if that little girls fish is still alive. I still don't understand how so much misinformation gets spread about these fish. Oh and surprisingly enough they conveniently can not guarantee the life of the Betta.

Edit:

I know Bettas aren't the highest maintenance fish out there. I have to say though owning fish/aquatic creatures has been the highest maintenance animals I have ever owned. It probably doesn't help running 4 aquariums, but it's so addicting lol.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wonder the same thing freemike. i was talking bout my first fih at school and i mentioned the water temp and 2 of my friends (both own bettas) freaked out and said i was going to boil my fish! i was like come one guys think about this... betta are tropical fish. and what does tropical mean? warm water maybe? anyway, i think they seem to be a lot more high maintenence than other fish like goldfish who just need a tank and a filter pretty much... when i bought my first guy i was NOT prepared to buy a heater, bigger tank, plants, thermometer, water test kit, live food, medicine, etc. i was just gonna put him in a little one gallon tank with gravel that my step mom no longer needed. that being said though i do absolutely love him and if i knew how much it would cost and how much i would love him id still do it all over again :)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
anyway, i think they seem to be a lot more high maintenence than other fish like goldfish who just need a tank and a filter pretty much...
If by tank you mean 50+ gallons for the fancies and 75+ gal for the commons and filter you mean something rated for double the aquarium size, then yes the can be easy. But they are a terrible beginner fish because of the size they grow to (10 inches for the fancies and over a foot for the common varieties).

At least that Yahoo site has some decent comments at the bottom. One person left a good website as a reference and another said that bettas do need heaters. Slowly but surely we will spread the word about good betta care.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
At least that Yahoo site has some decent comments at the bottom. One person left a good website as a reference and another said that bettas do need heaters. Slowly but surely we will spread the word about good betta care.
This may be petty but I wish those giving excellent advice would spell check and make sure the comment looks good to the eye. Otherwise many would be apt to dismiss the advice thinking it came from a child :-?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If by tank you mean 50+ gallons for the fancies and 75+ gal for the commons and filter you mean something rated for double the aquarium size, then yes the can be easy. But they are a terrible beginner fish because of the size they grow to (10 inches for the fancies and over a foot for the common varieties).
:shock: i thought it was just the weird ones that got that big

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
:shock: i thought it was just the weird ones that got that big
Oh gosh no! They all get huge. Big, bold, and beautiful. :)

I actually did a quick google for "do bettas need heaters" and was pleasantly surprised that the first few pages that came up DID say that bettas need heaters. The information is out there, we just need to encourage people to research.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh gosh no! They all get huge. Big, bold, and beautiful. :)

I actually did a quick google for "do bettas need heaters" and was pleasantly surprised that the first few pages that came up DID say that bettas need heaters. The information is out there, we just need to encourage people to research.
well thats my bad haha but now i know :) and every time i post a review about bettas i link to this forum :)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Oh no worries. Most people don't know. But knowledge is power! (I think that was a kid's show slogan a long time ago lol).

You know what I have thought about doing? Putting a bunch of basic betta info (as well as a reference to our site) on a small piece of paper (like business card size), printing a whole ton of them, and putting them by the bettas in petsmart. If I get a job there I will certainly be doing that.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh no worries. Most people don't know. But knowledge is power! (I think that was a kid's show slogan a long time ago lol).

You know what I have thought about doing? Putting a bunch of basic betta info (as well as a reference to our site) on a small piece of paper (like business card size), printing a whole ton of them, and putting them by the bettas in petsmart. If I get a job there I will certainly be doing that.
that would be awesome! haha i think that would make a lot of people realize that theyre not so easy...

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I've been working on a betta pamphlet. When I get a chance, I'd be happy to make an American one as well (US gallons and Farenheit) and post a copy here so anyone who wants can use it. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have to say the irony of this is the longest lived fish I did have lived in a small un-heated tank, fed flakes and I changed the water when I noticed it dirty. So explain that to me, after that I've tried your guy's processes and they don't live that long.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Your fish was an exception to the rule, not proof that those conditions were correct. He sounds like a very hardy little guy, and I bet he'd have done even better in optimum conditions. :)

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I have to say the irony of this is the longest lived fish I did have lived in a small un-heated tank, fed flakes and I changed the water when I noticed it dirty. So explain that to me, after that I've tried your guy's processes and they don't live that long.
I am trying to follow the rules here plus I think I chose a very healthy fish to start with and so far so good. However I have been hearing a lot of stories like yours of fish being kept against all odds and living for a very long time.

It is strange considering how some of the regulars here seem to have many problems keeping their fish healthy.......

That doesn't mean i will slack off on good fishkeeping! ;-)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts