Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks!
They're both beautiful boys and I'm so glad that you're doing what you can for them.
I've gotta say, though, (will you be mad at me for choosing a favorite?) Sandor is my favorite by a slight margin! I don't know why; he just has such an adorable little face...
Jaime is a sweetie too though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks!
They're both beautiful boys and I'm so glad that you're doing what you can for them.
I've gotta say, though, (will you be mad at me for choosing a favorite?) Sandor is my favorite by a slight margin! I don't know why; he just has such an adorable little face...
Jaime is a sweetie too though.
He definitely has a grumpy face. He is so animated too! Always flaring!

Jaime is just a sweet boy. I can't help but feel bad for him!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, my heart definitely went out to Jaime (then Samson) when you posted the picture of him with his tail all torn up. :'(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah, my heart definitely went out to Jaime (then Samson) when you posted the picture of him with his tail all torn up. :'(
I feel so bad because I have no idea if him tearing his tail off is my fault or not. I had to fast him for three days while I was at the hospital giving birth and I think that stressed him out. He's never been the same since then... I tried treating him with warm clean water for 4 months and he is just now making improvements. But I added salt to his tank and stress coat and IAL so I'm sure it's a co combination of all those things making him feel better.

Wow, I did not mean for this reply to turn into a mini update. I guess that's what happens when I'm glued to my chair rocking my 4 month old to sleep...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Both boys continue to do well! Sandor's treatment is coming along and I'm beginning to see the parasites become fewer and fewer. It's been a task, making sure that I'm doing everything I possibly can to treat his Ich. I'd say my biggest challenge has been making sure that the water temperature stays consistent. The temperature has really dropped where I live so the temp of my house fluctuates quite a bit. I've noticed that the temp in his tank drops almost every night. There has been a lot of back and forth on my end to make sure that everything is perfect. Sandor got quite a bit clamped two days ago and I was an instant mess of worry. Thankfully, his appetite is still going strong and he appears to be improving gradually. I'll post a picture later on today after water changes. :)

Jaime, however, is making leaps toward his recovery and I couldn't be happier. He has really colored up over the past two days and I even think I'm beginning to see the start of new growth! Maybe there is hope after all! Last night, when I went to feed him, I could have cried with joy. My sweet, broken little Jaime had built his first bubblenest since his tail tore off. Those Indian Almond Leaves are no joke! I wish I had gotten a picture for you all! He even slept under it last night. Cute, right? He is still refusing everything but Ocean Nutrition, but my new NLS Betta pellets are supposed to be arriving tomorrow. I can't wait to see if he will like those better. I really want to get him on a better food to help him continue to heal.

I will be taking some pictures today after my daily water changes. I promise I haven't forgotten about you all!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
As promised, here are some pictures of Sandor. While performing his water change I sat and observed him for a few minutes. He seems a little bit more sluggish than usual and he's still a bit clamped. I'm considering adding Paraguard to his tank. I noticed some holes in his caudal and I'm a little worried that he may be developing a secondary infection. Honestly, I expected this when I first got him but it's a little bothersome thinking that I may have to jump straight into treating something else. For now, I'm just going to keep a close eye on him and continue to treat the Ich. Looking at him this morning I can only see one or two little white specks still clinging to him so I'm hoping we are well on our way to erradicating this nasty parasite.

On a more positive note, Jaime flared at me today while I was cleaning his tank. I'm so happy to be seeing his old self coming back! I've added an obligatory flare picture so you all can appreciate his cuteness.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
There isn't much to report on. The boys are still doing good. Performing daily water changes for Sandor has proven to be quite taxing. But it's worth it. The parasites seem to have disappeared. I'm still maintaining his tank temperature for ten days to ensure that they all die off completely. I moved some things around in the boys' tank. I got Jaime a new wood ornament and put his old log into Sandor's tank (after I cleaned it, of course). Unfortunately, I do believe that I have a tail biter in Sandor. His long beautiful tail has been nipped and it is heartbreaking to see it gradually growing shorter and shorter. At least, I'm hoping it's not fin rot...

Jaime is continuing to do amazingly. H es active, swimming around. I'm actually beginning to see new growth forming in his tail, which is encouraging. He genuinely seems so happy!

As usual, the first picture is of him at the start of this journey and the rest is of him today. And, of course, I couldn't not share a picture of Jaime...he's too handsome!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Oh, and I forgot to add that today I did some digging regarding some concerns I had about Jaime's eyes. When looking at the boys I noticed that Sandor did not have the same "eyelid" that Jaime has...So, I'm beginning to believe that Jaime's eyes are beginning to scale over. I noticed this a while back and just asumeed it was something he'd always had. But now I'm not quite sure. Poor buddy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hello everybody! I know that it has been a long time since I've posted Here! I'm really sorry about that, life kind of snatched me up and ran away! Lol anyway, here is your ling overdue update on both the boys.

Let's start with Sandor! In my last update, we were in the middle of battle Ich. Well, I'm happy to report that he is now 100% Ich free. He has shown no other symptoms of illness and is thriving! He is a tail biter though, grrr. I like to think that he is a little more bright orange than when I first got him, but otherwise there isn't much change in his appearance. He is still a super fun fish to watch and is a very aggressive water. Below is a picture from when I first got him and a picture of him today!

Jaime is doing amazing! I mean, wow, I can really see a major difference in him. He's active, he flairs all the time and he even has built me tons of bubble nests. Not only does he act like he's feeling better, but he looks like he is feeling better too! I'll let the picture do the talking. The top one is from when we first started this journey and the one below is from today!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I feel like I am always starting my entries the same way lately. I know I haven't been posting here very often. But it's with a heavy heart that I write this update.

Yesterday, as I was doing my regular water changes, I noticed that Sandor wasn't his usual perky self. That night, when I fed him, he refused to eat. Today, I performed an emergen y water change just in case he was battling another illness of some kind. As I worked, I watched as he limply floated around the tank to the current. My heart sank. Desperate, I stopped my work and attempted to feed him again to no avail. With a heavy heart I watched as his life slowly faded away. I can't help but feel like I did something wrong, even though I know I did the best that I could.

I makes me sad to see his tank dark and empty, void of any signs of life. I'm heartbroken. Luckily, Jaime is still doing well though I am paranoid now that he is going to pass away as well.

I know that his tank probably won't remain empty for long, but my head is still reeling. I wish I had happier news for you all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have good news and bad news. As some of you might already know, Jaime seems a bit out of sorts lately. He has stopped eating and has become increasingly more inactive, despite my best efforts. I'm hoping that he will snap out of it soon and go back to eating but I'm worried that he is just too weak. I don't know what spiraled him into this, but I am praying that there is still hope!

On a happier note, as previously eluded too, I pleased to introduce you to Stark. He is in no way meant to be a replacement, but I couldn't stand to see Sandor's, or Sandy as I called him, tank remain empty when it could be home to another fish. Start was advertised as a butterfly, though that is yet to be seen as his coloring is obviously still coming in. I am fairly certain that he is a double tail.

He is quite a bit shyer than Sandy or Jaime, for that matter. He enjoys peeking out at me from behind the leaves of his plants. For most of his first day, and yesterday, he kept to himself and didn't really come out of hiding a whole lot. Today, he seems a bit more settled. He even ate for the first time! Yay!

I chose him, mostly because he was so Starkly (did you see what I did there?) Different from Sandy. There was a beautiful Koi plakat that I was immediately drawn to but I kept going back to Stark. Firstly, he Jas beautiful blue eyes and, secondly, blue is my husband's favorite color. Cheesy, I know. Anyway, he is beautiful and settling in nicely. I have high hopes for him! 20180131_090600.jpg 20180129_124442.jpg 20180131_094545.jpg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
He's still starkly beautiful! Looks like someone marbled on you though LOL.
Totally, and this happened so quickly! I noticed a change in him a week or two after I brought him home. His head is still changing, but he is stunning.

Also, I brought home a girlfriend (not really Cruz I thought she was a boy until tonight). I purchased Scarlet late Feb early March. I've had her for a bit and am only just now realizing that she is a girl. Whoops. Shes a cutie though. 20180405_201411.jpg 20180405_202913.jpg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Updates and new fish...

I think It's time for a long overdue update. So, as some of you may or may not know. Jaime has passed on. He contracted dropsy and died in the middle of treatment. I'm still not sure what caused him to turn so suddenly, but I suspect Culmanaris or something similar. I was heartbroken and it was a long day for me.

I've already introduced Thor. My stark 'white' betta that has, since, marbled on me. He is absolutely stunning and has been an absolute delight. He's quite big too. Although he is a bit of a biter, his tail is totally impressive which is why I recently decided to upgrade his tank! Yay! Thor now lives in a six gallon aquarium. Currently, he has a few tank mates, some tiger nerite snails and four cherry shrimp. The snails are temporary additions and lived with Thor in his smaller 2.6 before the move. I've kept them with Thor until I'm ready to move them into their permanent home. But more on that later. Thor holds a very special place in my heart. Maybe it's because he has completely transformed before my eyes or because he really has such a sweet personality. Unlike my previous fish, he isn't as aggressive. He takes change pretty hard and is currently sulking about his new home. He doesn't know what's good for him. I suspect in a few days he'll come around and agree that I do have a tiny idea of what I am doing. He's a silly boy.

Next is Scarlett. I haven't officially introduced her yet but I've had her for two months...a month and a half? I'm not exactly sure. I certainly hadn't expected to want another fish so quickly after Jaime's death, but do you remember that koi that I mentioned when I first brought Thor home? Well, this is the one. I went back to my petstore and 'he' was still there. Small and sad. I couldn't resist. I brought 'him' home. Well, Loki, as we called 'him' was suspected to be very young due to his size but...as time progressed I began noticing tiny details that told a different story. It wasn't until a few days ago that I came to the final conclusion that Loki was actually a Scarlett. So, yeah. Scarlett is a spunky girl and is a fan favorite. Without a heavy tail to drag her down she darts around her tank and is quite playful. She always swims up to her glass whenever I'm near, using her brown eyes to lure me into dropping more food. At first, she wasn't wholly convinced in her nerite friends and she spent a lot of time staring at them. I half-expected to find them murdered every time I checked in on them. But, no, she's accepted them and I think she enjoys following them around the tank as they clean.

Now for today...Today, as I upgraded Thor's dwelling, I came to realization that I would now have an empty tank. Every hobbyists dream! So....I may or may not have disinfected Thor's old tank and brought home a new buddy. Everyone, meet Drax! I didn't want to overwhelm him while he's settling in, so, for now, I'm keeping his snail buddies with Thor. After a couple of weeks I will pop them in with him.

So, prepare for some picture spam.

Attachments

21 - 35 of 35 Posts