Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SBD Fin rot and Velvet?!

So Daryl (my red Veiltail) has been great. He acts super active all the time and loves to swim crazy. He started acting strange one night and could no swim down so as a new momma I was sure he was going to die. However the next morning he was acting great! no problems. Weeks later It happened again at night he was in severe distress and constantly on his side trying to go down in the water. He would be in his plant so they would hold him at the bottom but when he needed to come up for air he flew up like a beach ball in water. I happened when I had aquarium salt in there because he had some fin rot. His fins seem to be growing back but he was having this bad swimbladder thing now. He also had lots of floating debris in his tank that looked like cotton. He does not have cotton patches on him but he does have cotton-like slime hanging off his fins. I thought it was over feeding mucus build up so I starved him for a week and fed him daphnia for another week he was ok but still problems. Then I decided to try Fritz aquatics Mardel Copper safe because he was also breathing really hard on top of it so maybe he had parasites.
Sense ive been doing the coppersafe (he has a one gallon tank so only 3 drops) he has been doing a lot better. swimming around all normal. Even though he was sick he never lost his appetite lol:lol: But he was always constipated sinse I first Got him. I gave him an epsom salt dip a week before the coppersafe when he was on his side. He did not poop but he did get better in the morning.
He also looked sparkly and dull so I did the copper safe for that too. He seems fine now. however he still has a little cotton clear slime off of him. but overall better. Could anyone else help me and what i can do?

Tank: 1.5 gallon. (I know he will be getting a 5 gallon when i get home in June)
no filter
100% water changes every other day
I use to feed him 3 flakes the size of his eye in the morning and two blood worms or mysis at 6 pm. But right now he has only been eating 2 daphnia in the morning and one blood worm at night.
The temp is between 75-80 degrees fahrenheit
and his water readings are optimal.... Help?

·
Registered
171 Posts
here is an article on Cotton Wool Disease. see if that is what it is. Here

Just as a note always make sure you know what the exact issue is before you start treatment.

For constipation which seems to have caused a bladder issue feeding the fish mushy peas is recommended. its like gel through the digestive tract which helps clear it out. Like a SoCal girl doing a "Body Cleanse" Here is an article for how to correctly do this

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Please fill out this form and include photos:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Please try to be patient when asking questions. None of us are on 24/7 and all of us are volunteers. If people don't know the answers most won't say anything rather than guess.

As stated above: It's best to not use meds until you know exactly what's wrong with something.

·
Registered
171 Posts
from personal experience what you are describing is what killed my last Veiltail. it started with finrot-cottony crap on his fins. It then cleared away by itself in about 48 hours. then about two days latter he got a cottony patch on his side and a pop-eye. he then got bad welling and passed.

Also dont mix medication. Just like with Humans mixing Fish meds can cause bad reactions

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
from personal experience what you are describing is what killed my last Veiltail. it started with finrot-cottony crap on his fins. It then cleared away by itself in about 48 hours. then about two days latter he got a cottony patch on his side and a pop-eye. he then got bad welling and passed.

Also dont mix medication. Just like with Humans mixing Fish meds can cause bad reactions
oh no :( he is swelling a bit too so imma starve him again for a few days. do you know what it is??:cry:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please fill out this form and include photos:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Please try to be patient when asking questions. None of us are on 24/7 and all of us are volunteers. If people don't know the answers most won't say anything rather than guess.

As stated above: It's best to not use meds until you know exactly what's wrong with something.
Ok thank you so much Im sorry. Im just so upset. I love him so :cry:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I do believe that bettafix has the necessary "stuff" for CWD. But if you CAN get it the Marycyn combo is very effective

Side note. Earlier you asked about Coppersafe. That is for ICK. This is NOT Ick I believe

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do believe that bettafix has the necessary "stuff" for CWD. But if you CAN get it the Marycyn combo is very effective

Side note. Earlier you asked about Coppersafe. That is for ICK. This is NOT Ick I believe
I already put them in coppersafe Ohno!! Should I 200 percent water change and just add salt to the medication arrives? I feel so stupid I hope you can last until it gets here

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

crap should I get him out of it immediately and just have aquarium salt in the water? I ordered the meds but they won't be here till Wednesday I'm so scared do you think he will make it till then?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just read that you put the copper safe in the tank. . . read the directiosn for coppersafe. if it requires you to do a whole process and you cant stop then well....you cant stop and you need to keep going. ...

LUCKY FOR YOU THIS.

General Information

Coppersafe solution remains active for over one month in the aquarium. It is a safe, stable, non-staining concentrate that does not color aquarium water. Be sure to add Coppersafe solution to replacement water when water changes are made. This will maintain the therapeutic level of Coppersafe solution.

Because Coppersafe solution is so stable in water, partial water changes are the quickest way to remove it from the water.

so you can stop with teh copper safe and just start doing relatively large water changes to lower the concentration of it.

you get the meds wed. I would say till then do 20% water changes every day and monitor the tank quality. Then on wed do another 20% and start the Marycn treatment.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Really, really need a photo. Can you get one? A photo will better show what he's dealing with. Also, please answer the questions; they really do help create a clearer picture.

I know you're concerned and extremely stressed. I just didn't want you to think you were being ignored.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
uote:
Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? Usually 82 but because of fungus I lowered it to 75
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Flakes and freeze dried mysis/daphnia/blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 flakes in the morning and 2 freeze dried stuff at night (I like to mix it up)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Before he was sick, every 2 days
What percentage of the water do you change 100% when you perform a water change?every 2 days
What type of additives do you add to the water aquarium salt and api declorinator
when you perform a water change?every 2-3 days

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I can't tell strips say it's ok though

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fin damage, Cotton like slime off fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? At night he has swim bladder troubles and he itches a lot and breathes heavy. When I first got him he had fin rot and I didn't know it so when hI started seeing his fins deteriorate I got aq salt.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 weeks ago so I ordered meds
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes I messed up and put in three drops of copper safe. before that though he was always constipated so I gave him an Epsom dip. Seemed to get a lot better then got worse
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Always seemed a little I'll ever sinse I got him
How old is your fish (approximately)? Idk probably a year when I got him which was 3 months ago

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.