Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,
I am in dire need of help as I can not find any info on this anomaly anywhere.
A bit of history from the fish itself. I got him for free on gumtree listed as a female, which he obviously isn't as I soon found out. I don't know his age or "breed", but he is quite a big boy (guessing a king betta cross at least) and a plakat as the tail type. When I originally got him he had a similar issue along his back and face, but never this bad. Basically it looks like his scales are rotting off or have just fallen off. He is still super active and super hungry though which is what baffles me the most. It cleared up after a couple of weeks in my care and he has been good for the past three to four months.
The symptoms have since reoccurred since I added an Indian Almond leaf to his tank, thinking it would be beneficial to his health and I have never had issues with it in my other tanks. My assumption is that he is very sensitive to changes in the water and that it is more a personal "skin" issue like eczema would be for people. I have no idea what to do and it looks so painful. I have removed the almond leaves last night and did a 30% water change. I will try and add photos later tonight when I get home.

****EDIT****
I have deducted a fair few diseases including columnaris, slime disease, HIH, fungus and velvet.
I was also just looking at his tank and he flashed against a blade of one of the live plants. Is it possible that the Indian almond leaves effects could be irritating him and he has been scraping the hell out of himself?

The info for the tank is below.

Housing:
Tank size: ~30L tank.
Filtration: Internal sump system with carbon, floss, sponge and ceramic filtration (low flow)
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 26 to 28 degrees celcius
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Tank mates: none
Lighting: Led light
Deco: with live plants, river rocks, ceramic tunnel and sand substrate
Diet: Hikari gold betta pellets, 6-7 a day or an 8th of a square of frozen brine shrimp (he's a big boy, almost 8cm long and I am scared to underfeed him, but he is definitely NOT overfed)

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 25% per week
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? usually I vacuum, but more often than not I stir up the bottom a little and dip out water.
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Prime by Seachem and sometimes stresscoat by API

Water Parameters:
Temperature: 26-27/28 degrees celcius
Ammonia:0
Nitrites:0
Nitrates: <5
pH:inbetween 6.7 to 7 (going to guess that this is the ial doing it)
Hardness (GH): unknown
Alkalinity (KH): unknown

Symptoms and Treatment:

When did you first notice the symptoms? over the past couple of days
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Scales falling off or rotting off the face and spinal area
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? no
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Done nothing yet
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Just the same as this when I first got him
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? A few months and the same illness just not as bad.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've not heard of anything quite like this, but could you post some pics so we can see what it looks like?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally managed to get the photos of him on my computer to post. But hopefully it helps. It seems to be looking a little better today since the water change, so I am thinking maybe he is just sensitive to changes in the water and it is some type of fishy skin condition????
PS I tried using flash it freaked him out way too much. He ended up sitting in the corner with stress stripes. He is a really sensitive little guy. Just me moving something around or doing water changes in the tank gives him stress stripes :(

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They aren't the best photos, he wouldn't stop moving and my phone had a tough time focusing. But you can kind of see the grey areas where it looks like the scales have come off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up removing the almond leaves and adding some kanaplex with 25% water changes every second day with a new dosage and it seems to have worked. I think he was just sensitive to changes caused by the ial, which is strange since it should be good for them apparently. But he seems to be a lot better now than before :)

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
I ended up removing the almond leaves and adding some kanaplex with 25% water changes every second day with a new dosage and it seems to have worked. I think he was just sensitive to changes caused by the ial, which is strange since it should be good for them apparently. But he seems to be a lot better now than before :)
I'm glad that he is doing better!

I have a theory that they can be allergic to different things, just like other species can be. Maybe your guy is allergic to the IAL.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He still isn't 100%, but he is doing A LOT better than he was. A bit disappointing that he reacted badly to it since it is apparently one of the most effective natural external preventatives/ treatments used for bettas :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts