Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here's the story. Yesterday, Toby looked completely fine. I had to move to a new apartment yesterday, but luckily he was due for a 100% water change so I put him in his temporary bowl (which admittedly is tiny) and walked him to the next building where the new tank was. Then once I was moved in, the first thing I did was start to fill his tank again and treat it. Unfortunately, I misjudged the temperature of the tap water so I had to leave him in the tiny bowl overnight because his tank was far too hot for him (upwards of 95F).

This morning, when I got up, I checked the water temperature and it was fine for him so I acclimated him to the new tank water and set him free (I floated him in a cup with old water for an hour, then added some tank water, waited ten minutes, added more tank water, waited ten minutes, then released him).

After I did that, I noticed a weird patch right behind his gills... I'll attach photos after the form. As far as I can tell, it's the worst on the side in the photos, although it does exist on the other side of his body as well.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum Betta Formula Colour Enhancing Semi-Floating Pellets, Tetra Freeze Dried Bloodworms, Omega One Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets in the morning, 2-3 pellets in the evening every day, except on Sunday where he gets either one bloodworm or some brine shrimp in the morning and the evening

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 20% water change Monday and Thursday, 100% water change on Saturday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin Aqua Plus Conditioner (2.5mL), API Aquarium Salt (1.5tsp), API Bettafix (1.5tsp) - the Bettafix is because I'm paranoid about infection from his previous tailbiting

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: somewhere between 0 and 0.25
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I noticed some scales possibly missing from the sides of his body, just behind the gills?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No real change as far as I can see
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 20 minutes ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I don't know what to do. I'm still treating him with Bettafix to ward off infection from his tailbiting
Does your fish have any history of being ill? As mentioned previously, he has been tailbiting recently but I think he's stopped
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him from PetSmart two weeks ago, other than that I don't know

Attachments

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Ok, AQ salt for more than 14 days will damage the labyrinth, bettafix/meal fix can do more harm than good and may also damage the labyrinth so stop using those. He looks about a year old.

Now that looks to me like he is a marble betta, meaning his colors will occasionally change, the black and orange spots will move. Also he is piebald (no color on the head) this being said the spot isn't Anything to worry about, just a little color change

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.