Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Betta Abe always had a weird scale on his side ever since I brought him home a few months ago. I never really thought anything of it. It looked grayish/white, different but not out of place. Recently, I noticed that the discoloration had migrated and is getting larger. He doesn't show any signs of stress and is very active and eating well.

Under magnification the scale in the center looks slightly raised.

It's very difficult to get a good picture of him because he's always on the move.

He's in a planted, cycled aquarium, so I would have to move him into a hospital tank for any recommended treatment.

Added some Indian almond leaves today, hoping for the best.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal.
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, Elite sponge filter, double
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Lift tube from filter.
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Daily:NLS pellets, Omega one pellets, Every few days: frozen bloodworms Once in a while : frozen daphia, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp.
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice daily, weekends 4 times a day, very small amounts.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% with a gravel vacuum.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime water sits for about a week after treatment before I use it. Sometimes I use API stress coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0 PPM
Nitrite:0 PPM
Nitrate:20 PPM
pH:7.6
Hardness:-
Alkalinity:-

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Patch of scales on body are turning white.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't, He is very active, eating well and eliminating waste on a regular basis.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This week, 7/25 -8/1
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Water Change, Gravel vac. Indian Almond leaves
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? No Idea, He's a Petco King 3" in length if that helps.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hmm. It could be a cyst or a small tumor. Kinda small to see at this point.

Out of curiosity, why do you let your treated water sit for a week?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Out of curiosity, why do you let your treated water sit for a week?
It allows dissolved gasses to dissipate from the water. The little bubbles can cause bloat and severe gill irritation, which can be the result of excessive gas bubbles in the water, especially in wintertime. I keep 2, 5 gallon buckets of treated, aerated water ready to go at all times.

If I use water right from the tap treated with Prime, it's like pouring a soda into my Aquarium.

I thought everybody did this.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may recommend investigating ich as a possible culprit.
I don't think it's ick. It's only in one spot and not on any other part of his body. I'm not sure ick thrives in an 80 degree aquarium. The spot has been there since the day I brought him home. It was limited to the one scale. Now It looks like the immediate surrounding scales are showing signs of discoloration.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It allows dissolved gasses to dissipate from the water. The little bubbles can cause bloat and severe gill irritation, which can be the result of excessive gas bubbles in the water, especially in wintertime. I keep 2, 5 gallon buckets of treated, aerated water ready to go at all times.

If I use water right from the tap treated with Prime, it's like pouring a soda into my Aquarium.

I thought everybody did this.
I've heard of people with that problem, it's like their fish getting the bends. But I thought it was pretty uncommon. I know some people let their untreated water sit for 24 hours as an alternative to treating it, but that's all I've heard of. I've always poured my water directly in and there are usually a few bubbles on the glass.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard of people with that problem, it's like their fish getting the bends. But I thought it was pretty uncommon. I know some people let their untreated water sit for 24 hours as an alternative to treating it, but that's all I've heard of. I've always poured my water directly in and there are usually a few bubbles on the glass.
Well, I live in the Philadelphia area and our water source is the Delaware river. Our water quality has made national news because of a number of wild male fish carrying eggs. So, I don't know if the water treatment plants are doing something extra but even after a day I get lots of gas bubbles.

I just like to keep aged water around, treated with Prime and ready to go. It's gotta be better than what's coming right out of the faucet around here.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Well, I live in the Philadelphia area and our water source is the Delaware river. Our water quality has made national news because of a number of wild male fish carrying eggs. So, I don't know if the water treatment plants are doing something extra but even after a day I get lots of gas bubbles.

I just like to keep aged water around, treated with Prime and ready to go. It's gotta be better than what's coming right out of the faucet around here.
Freaky. Probably a good idea to age that lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Iirc, (the water report crashed my tablet) water pulled from the delaware watershed is treated with chloramine, that stuff takes forever to outgas. Your best bet though would be to add the Prime right before you refill your tank so it can neutralize the ammonia in the water.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Iirc, (the water report crashed my tablet) water pulled from the delaware watershed is treated with chloramine, that stuff takes forever to outgas. Your best bet though would be to add the Prime right before you refill your tank so it can neutralize the ammonia in the water.
So you are saying to let the water outgas for a few days then add Prime?
I can do that.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Maybe a benign tumor. It's really small to be able to tell with any certainty though.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe a benign tumor. It's really small to be able to tell with any certainty though.
Yeah, I was hoping to nip a potential problem in the bud. I will keep a close eye on it and see where it goes from here. Like I said, he had something there from the day I brought him home.

I don't want to stress him out with a visit to a hospital tank.
"Do no harm" as they say.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.