Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my betta seems to be scared of me. not excited when he sees me.
he dances around all the time but when he sees that i am looking at him he goes and hides in his plants. :p
i feed him 3 pellets daily skipping sundays and i keep his water clean and warm for him...
any tips to make him less afraid?

he likes to dance with his reflection alot too..

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Very probable Lizz. When Bettas are introduced to a new environment it's all very scary and new to them! Most of them haven't been in anything larger than half a gallon as an adult fish so more space is always frightening for them.

Think of this; you are forced to move to an entirely new country where you don't know the language, you don't have money and you don't have luggage with you. That's pretty stressful and scary, right? That's kind of what your betta is feeling like; it's all so new to him! You just need to give him time to settle in and make his home feel comfortable!

At night, you can put a towel or a blanket over his tank to make it very dark. Take the towel off in the morning before lights on, the total darkness really helps keep fish less stressed and he will settle in quicker ^_^

BTW, I absolutely adore his name! Van Gogh is one of my favorite artists besides Rembrandt and I've got a fishy named Rembrandt! He's in my avatar there ^_^

·
Registered
249 Posts
yeah this is exactly how my Elijah acted I thought I had a shy, skittish betta....took about a week and a half and now he thinks he's a dog! wagging his tail every time he sees me! :lol:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha vincent likes to watch me when he thinks im not looking. he just hovers there and follows me around the room. its why i chose him at the store. he was fixated on watching me and got super excited the close i got :p
that and he was really pretty. he is my profile picture

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
You're welcome! And you can use it just once or whenever he needs it if you feel it works well for him ^_^

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so the night i was going to the towel thing over his tank i ended up going over to a friends house. he was alone for about 14 hours i came back fed him changed my clothes and then went back to my friends house overnight again so he was basically alone for nearly 48 hours minus the 45 minutes i was there. I think being alone really helped him. i came back sunday afternoon and he got super excited and started dancing. He still shys away from me but not near as bad as he did. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts