Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I noticed tonight that my betta has a scratch of some sort on his scales. I was wondering if this scratch on his scales looks bad? Will I need some sort of betta skin repair cost or would I be able to get away with just water changes? Again it doesn’t seem like a deep scratch it’s just that this is my first time dealing with any “wound” on a fish so any help would be appreciated thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello I noticed tonight that my betta has a scratch of some sort on his scales. I was wondering if this scratch on his scales looks bad? Will I need some sort of betta skin repair cost or would I be able to get away with just water changes? Again it doesn’t seem like a deep scratch it’s just that this is my first time dealing with any “wound” on a fish so any help would be appreciated thanks!
Also, wasn’t sure if there a help forum I was supposed to fill so I will just run through everything quickly.
Tank size: 10gals
Water testing: PH: 7.4
Amonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Used API master testing kit ^
tank mates: 3 Santa Maria endlers with 2 otocinclus (my betta gets along completely fine and stocking why I’m at my max for 1inch of fish per 1gallon.
Feeding: 2 times a day pellets with some bloodworms averaging 2 big pellets with one maybe two small blood worms.
When did this happen: tonight

·
Super Moderator
22,728 Posts
Here you go.

I'm more concerned about his belly swelling.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here you go.

I'm more concerned about his belly swelling.
[/QUOTE

hello, would you recommend cutting down how much I feed him and for the little scratch he has on his skin I shouldn’t worry to much about?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Housing: aqueon aquarium
How many gallons is your tank? 10 gal
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 80F

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? I use a sponge filter that airfares bubbles

Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
Yes, 3 Santa Maria’s endlers, 2 otocinclus

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Pellets

Freeze-dried?
Yes bloodworms

How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
2 times per day 2 big pellets with some blood works

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Was doing it every 2 days (gravel vac to clean up food/poop waste) cutting it down to once a week maybe 2 if it the API kit reads a spike)

What percentage of water did you change?
20-30%

What is the source of your water?
Tap water (I use prime to remove the chlorine)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
I always vacuum the substrate when doing water changes

What additives do you use other than conditioner?
None as I ran out

What brand of conditioner?
Prime

Water Parameters:

What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4
Hardness (GH):na
Alkalinity (KH):na

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
Today
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
No besides the obvious scratch

How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
No
Is your Betta still eating?
Yea
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
No but I will starting this morning by doing daily water changes
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
No
How long have you owned your Betta?
2 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
No

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
currently one day of fasting my betta, should I continue to fast him for one more day? Also, the scale seems to slowly be growing back which is great:)

Attachments

·
Registered
Akila, Atticus, Indy and Prince Echo
908 Posts
Food:
What food brand do you use?
Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Pellets
What kind of Aqueon pellets do you have? Regular or Pro?
I heard that the Aqueon Pro Betta Pellets have an excessive amount of fillers and aren't good for bettas. The regular formula is fine though, but other brands are preferred, like Fluval Bug Bites.

Freeze-dried?
Yes bloodworms

How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
2 times per day 2 big pellets with some blood works
Freeze-dried bloodworms are a treat and should be fed two bloodworms soaked once a week. They are really fatty and can be unhealthy if fed too many.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I heard that the Aqueon Pro Betta Pellets have an excessive amount of fillers and aren't good for bettas. The regular formula is fine though, but other brands are preferred, like Fluval Bug Bites.

Freeze-dried bloodworms are a treat and should be fed two bloodworms soaked once a week. They are really fatty and can be unhealthy if fed too many.
oaky sounds good! currently have fed him this morning its been over 24hrs of fasting for him, and the aqueon pellets are: Aqueon color enhancing betta food.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I have these two pellets foods that are from different company’s, as you can see one is bigger then the other, which brand should you recommend I use from these two?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,728 Posts
Others may have a different experience, but in mine it doesn't matter. It may take them a bit longer to "chew" but my adult Betta eat +/- 1.5 mm pellets quite easily. Aqueon Color formula is also good. Aqueon used to be terrible (and the "Pro" still is), but they're now up there with New Life Spectrum, NorthFin and Fluval Bug Bites.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts