Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know which product would be better for replenishing physiologically relevant minerals that are removed by reverse osmosis or deionizing filtration?

The products are similar, the difference is Seachem has sodium chloride, whereas Brightwell has sodium metasilicate

I do not know which chemical would be more beneficial. I have a Betta.

Brightwell Remineraliz - Purified water, calcium chloride, sodium metasilicate, magnesium chloride, potassium chloride.

http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/remineraliz.php

Seachem Replenish - calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, sodium chloride, potassium chloride

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Replenish.html

· Reference Team
7,846 Posts
The calcium and magnesium are the important ones. Good for GH to stabilize your pH. Most of us on here trust Seachem. They have a question/answer section to help with decisions. No other company does that.

May I ask why you're using RO or deionized water? There are other trace minerals that are most conveniently provided by tapwater.

Welcome to the forum.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your welcome and response.

I reason I’m using R/O water is because I am worried about tap water having fluoride and heavy metals.

The toxic effects of fluoride is detailed in this research article:
Sodium Fluoride Toxicity in the Fresh Water Cat Fish <I>Clarias batrachus</I> (Linn.): Effects on the Erythrocyte Morphology and Antioxidant Enzymes

In addition to remineralizing the R/O water (with Replenish or Remineraliz), I plan to add trace minerals—as even tap water can be missing certain trace minerals which are included in aquarium products. I want to make sure my Betta has all the vitamins he needs to live to his greatest potential.

For adding trace minerals:

Seachem makes a product Fresh Trace, but do not want to use it as it contains fluoride:
Seachem. Fresh Trace
Ingredients: calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, potassium iodide, copper sulfate, iron sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, sodium fluoride, selenium AAC

Brightwell’s equivalent product that their customer service representative pointed me to is calledDiscusCode:
Brightwell Aquatics - DiscusCode
Ingredients: Purified water, Sodium metavanadate, Zinc sulfate, Nickel chloride, Chromium chloride, Sodium feredetate, Manganese chloride, Strontium chloride, Cobalt chloride.

It’s confusing though as the ingredient list for the trace mineral products are very different—how can one know the trace minerals which would be optimal for a Betta?

Back to trying to figure out whether to use Brightwell Remineraliz vs Seachem Replenish for replacing minerals in R/O water—I’ve read good reviews about Seachem and their products, however-- if their Fresh Trace contains sodium fluoride, it questions whether their other products are somewhat flawed. I have also read forums where users warn against using sodium chloride, which is in Replenish.

Reviews for Brightwell products are more limited, and a chemist who is on ReefCentral forums does not like their salt water products. However, perhaps the sodium metasilicate in Remineraliz would be better.

· Reference Team
7,846 Posts
I'm a little in over my head here. We lost our best water chemist, and I'm doing my best to fill in.

First of all, sodium flouride is a salt. Whereas flourine might be considered dangerous, it's -ide form is not. Same with chloride, the salt of deadly chlorine, as well as others. At that, most keepers I talk to don't find flouridated water in any way detrimental to their fish. Understand, I don't know keepers of Discus or other sensitive fish.

Scale-less fish, like catfish and pet catfish, are particularly sensitive to certain chemicals (ei. compounds of nitrogen) that Betta barely notice.

Please don't misunderstand what I'm about to say. It is in no way intended as a criticism or insult, but -- you may be over-thinking this a bit.

Betta are a tough little species, able to survive in less than adequate water conditions. Their ability to breath air attests to their adaptability. While they don't live and breed in "buffalo hoof-prints" or other tiny puddles, they can survive a dry season in some pretty small and polluted bongs and channels.

Getting perfect water quality, while admirable, is not often achieved nor even attempted in most Betta set-ups. They seem to do well in a wide range of water quality, provided by hobbyists of varying abilities and capabilities, both of experience and finance.

I encourage you to continue your research in this area. Water quality is, arguably, the most important single consideration in fish-keeping. I'll follow your tracks closely. Feel free to send any link, offer any thoughtful opinion. I'm interested.

If you'd like to expand your venue, may I suggest looking into the Advanced Freshwater Discussion thread: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/advanced-freshwater-discussion/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.