Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a castle for my betta, but within a couple of weeks, the paint started chipping off, so I took it out of the tank. I really like it, though, and so did my fish, so I didn't throw it away. I read somewhere that you can use silicone to coat unsafe decorations. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Best place to get the right kind of Silicone at a good price? How to spread it evenly? etc...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey,, I don't know anything about the silicone but you could scrub the paint with one of those wire sponges that are used for washing dishes (clean of course) if you don't car too much for the paint. =)

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Get clear Plast-Dip. It comes in a spray and in a paintable form. Aquarium safe and creates a waterproof seal. They sell it at Lowe's/Home Depot - although my local ones don't carry the clear, so I had to order it on Amazon.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I love the paint job (it's like purple and teal and gold) so I'll see about the Plast-Dip stuff. Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I'm not supposed to bring back dead threads or something, so if this is against the rules then sorry, I just wanted to update what happened.
Update:
It didn't work! After about a week of the newly plasti-dip-ed castle in the water, I started smelling plastic and a film was forming on the water's surface. The marimo ball i had in there started looking brown and the other plants weren't looking so good either. I gave it a couple more days, but then my fish started acting weird, so I took the castle out and did a big water change. A couple water changes later, my fish and plants are looking better and the water doesn't stink. I have a coconut tunnel for him now, so he's not without shelter, but i'll still be looking for an alternative to the castle.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
How weird. How long did you let it dry? I have plasti dipped stuff in most of my tanks with no problems.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I let each coat dry for about 4 hours, then the last coat I let sit over night, almost a full day. It was the spray Plasti-dip, if that makes a difference?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I used the spray too. I do let stuff sit for 72 hours or until all the smell is gone. That's too bad it didn't work for you though. I love the stuff.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm 72 hours you say? Maybe I'll try again once his water is completely cleaned up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts