Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be seeding my new tank to cycle with filter media from my established tank which is 4 months old and doing very well. Few qs about this.

1. How much difference does seeding do? Like time wise and success wise.

2. What's the best method to do this? Actually adding the sponges to the new filter or squeezing the sponge into the new filter media or into the water itself?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just set it up and cycle normally! Why rush?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to sound rude but, how is that actually constructive? I will be seeding my tank and have a few questions about method etc. It's not really a case of being in a rush, but that I want my tank to be successful. Seeding, is a NORMAL part of cycling and as I have establish filter bacteria at my disposal I might as well use it..

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
I usually just take some of my seeded media, put it in the filter and then lightly-moderately stock my tank. It will take some time for you bacteria to adjust and so I keep up with water testing and water changes as if I was doing a fish-in cycle.

If you are lucky you can have almost an immediately cycled tank, but sometimes your transfer will fail and you'll have to cycle from scratch. A lot of it depends on things such as temperature, pH and stocking levels.

I prefer to use actual seeded media rather than just mulm from the filter as I feel this is going to give me the best start possible.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Seeding, is a NORMAL part of cycling and as I have establish filter bacteria at my disposal I might as well use it..
Just to be clear, you're asking about a fishLESS cycle here, right?

Seeding is indeed the most important component of a fast sure cycle. It's the difference between cycling in two weeks instead of two months.

The amount of beneficial bacteria in the water is quite small compared to what's in the filter or the substrate. You can use half of the filter from your established tank (put it in the new filter) or use a half cup of your established substrate (put it in front of your filter intake or even in your filter).

It helped me to have extra filter foam in the flow area of the tank. I also doubled the flow by adding an old sponge filter I made. This also added oxygen to the water which the BB like. I raised the tank temperature to >85*.

I used Dr Tim's ammonia from Amazon Amazon.com: DrTim's Aquatics Ammonium chloride for Aquarium: Pet Supplies I hear it's also available from Foster and Smith for less. Use enough to get the NH3 up to 4ppm. Do not change the water.

You already know about the ups and downs of NH3 and NO2. When they are at zero. Change the water to get rid of nitrates.

With lots of flow, air, high temps and extra foam, I cycled my first 5g in 12 days. The second one took 10 days. Seeding is the only way to cycle.

Great cycling article by Bahamut here: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/betta-fish-care/guide-tank-cyling-nitrogen-cycle-pictures-98795/

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to be clear, you're asking about a fishLESS cycle here, right?

Seeding is indeed the most important component of a fast sure cycle. It's the difference between cycling in two weeks instead of two months.

The amount of beneficial bacteria in the water is quite small compared to what's in the filter or the substrate. You can use half of the filter from your established tank (put it in the new filter) or use a half cup of your established substrate (put it in front of your filter intake or even in your filter).

It helped me to have extra filter foam in the flow area of the tank. I also doubled the flow by adding an old sponge filter I made. This also added oxygen to the water which the BB like. I raised the tank temperature to >85*.

I used Dr Tim's ammonia from Amazon Amazon.com: DrTim's Aquatics Ammonium chloride for Aquarium: Pet Supplies I hear it's also available from Foster and Smith for less. Use enough to get the NH3 up to 4ppm. Do not change the water.

You already know about the ups and downs of NH3 and NO2. When they are at zero. Change the water to get rid of nitrates.

With lots of flow, air, high temps and extra foam, I cycled my first 5g in 12 days. The second one took 10 days. Seeding is the only way to cycle.

Great cycling article by Bahamut here: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/betta-fish-care/guide-tank-cyling-nitrogen-cycle-pictures-98795/
Thanks Hally. I am in the UK and finding ammonia is proving very difficult. (See my journal) so if tomorrow I can't find any ammonia (I can't buy it online) I will have to either fish in cycle or try the fish food method. Cycling itself I have got down pretty much. I have read so many guides, here and elsewhere that I dream of the chemical symbols!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was recently able to pretty much insta-cycle one of my tanks by seeding it. I took enough media to fill the entire media box on the new filter out of my well established goldfish tank. I then filled the media box about halfway with it then halfway with new media and put the remaining half of the goldfish media in a tea bag to sit under the filter intake.

I could dose with ammonia and have it gone almost instantly within a day. After a few weeks, I took the tea bag of media out and tossed it back into the goldfish filter. Tomorrow (another week later) I plan to take the rest of the old media out and replace it with fresh.

I started adding fish and shrimp after about three days. I have monitored to make sure everything is fine, and it has held the cycle perfectly. Goldfish media is frighteningly potent. :lol:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like it worked out really well for you! Well I got my master kit and put my filter media in today. Guy I'm friends with has reserved me 3 of his "most attractive" red males and 3 females for me to look at tomorrow or wednesday. He's also been uber nice and is allowing me to take pictures of the Betta tanks he has on display in the LFS he works in (and co owns!). My other fishy friend has put some plants aside for me and is ordering in some marimo moss balls just for me at a discount price (pays to have friends in the fishy business :) )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.