Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my betta fish yesterday and put him in his 4 gallon Marineland tank with HOB filter. Due to the internal reflection of the light and the tank and such he keeps sweeping along the back and sides of the tank looking at his reflection. He doesn't seem stressed out by this but he will flare up and swim around then calm down. He has been doing this on and off ever since I put him in. I am also concerned because he is so distracted that I haven't been able to watch him eat. I think he ate a couple of the little food pellets I put in last night but this morning I turned the filter off hoping he would come to the surface to eat but even when I put the food in he kept looking at his reflection. Is this something I really need to be concerned about?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Since he is new to his environment, it is normal for him to not be interested in eating for a few days, sometimes up to a week. If he is not showing any signs of being too stressed then I wouldn't worry. Just give him some time to settle in, and play with the outside lighting so that he can't see his reflection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, will do. Another question, are betta natural top feeders? like will he eventually be really eager to eat?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes! In my years I have always had bettas come to the top for their food. In fact, my current betta wont eat them if they have sunk. In a few days your betta should be interested in food. But if its more than that, I still wouldn't worry. Bettas can go a long time without it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
All three of mine come to the surface for food. In fact, they see me coming at mealtimes and zoom over to wait for me. LOL Yours is just fascinated with his new home right now. Try hanging out with him and talking to him. My husband teases me for "talking to your fish again" but I firmly believe they enjoy the interaction or they wouldn't come the side and hang out and look me right in the eye when I stop to talk to them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts