Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I apologize I've been trying to read through threads all week but I still need help, it first appeared tues that Loki my betta had Swim Bladder, he ate the snails food Kens vegi sticks and was obviously bloated... His belly isn't inflamed anymore but he's laying on the bottom struggling to get air... And randomly swims erratically around the tank and then drops to the bottom. I did a 20% water change Wed and Thursday morning , today I did 50% and just got home and he seemed worse so I drained the tank 50% so he wouldn't have so far to swim. He normally swims and follows me around but he looks like he's in pain an it's killing me!

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
A mystery snail and a zebra snail
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New life spectrum (after the first time he got swim bladder I switched to this)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 pellet in the am and 1 at night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top fin water conditioner just ordered Prime I do have live plants in the tank

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: ? Just realized these test strips don't have that I'll have to get new ones
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: in between 7.5-8 I have proper ph and was going to do another water change tomorrow with it
Hardness: GH 180 KH 120
Alkalinity: ? Again need different test strips

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Body seems bloated fins close to body
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not active seems in distress
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Tues night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Water changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? One other time, he was being overfed
How old is your fish (approximately)? ? Bought him in January

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
馃槶

Loki has left us... Heartbreaking to see h take his last breath.... While cleaning the tank I saw a very thin tiny green "worm" like creature... My only guess is possibly parasites?... I was getting medications suggested on previous forums tomorrow. I plan on cycling the tank and getting a new betta... They are so pretty and really do have their own personalities.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks logisticsguy ..... I do think it was that veggie stick he ate that he shouldn't have ... 馃槥 thank you pet smart for advising is to get snails.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts