Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just preparing for bringing home my new betta, I've cared for one before but I'm a little rusty so I have some questions..

I have a 0.9 gallon tank, temporary of course (I'm going to upgrade in 3-4 weeks) so I was wondering first of all which heater would be suitable for this tank size? Any specific brand with the right wattage? With the size being 0.9 g I just want to find one that's safe.

Also, what should the water change schedule be? I saw a post saying 1-4 gallon tanks with no filter should be twice a week 1-50% and 1-100% but I also came across a thread saying that it should be DAILY based on this size? I'm not sure which one to follow.

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
There are lots of 7.5 watt heaters out there, but they are preset and often don't keep a stable or high enough temp, but one of those is better than nothing, as long as it's not a permanent solution, you should be fine. For a tank as small as your, you have to do daily water changes. Maybe 75% water change everyday in order to not stress your fish out too much. Good luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Are there any adjustable heaters that would work for this size? If that would be a better choice than preset?

And I'm worried that that many water changes would be really stressful for him.. daily is an absolute must? Any other sort of schedule that would be less stressful?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I can't believe I am recommending a preset heater!

I purchased a Grreat Choice heater from Petsmart for a .5 gallon tank that I keep one ramshorn snail in (no fish). It is 10 watts, and is preset to 77 degrees. It isn't one of those heaters that is always on, it shuts off when it reaches 77 degrees. It surprisingly works great! It is $15 dollars, and should work great for a .9 gallon tank. I don't know if it would work for a 2.5 or 3 gallon tank, you would probably want to get a 25 watt adjustable heater when you upgrade the tank. But, you could keep the heater and .9 gallon tank as a quarantine/hospital tank.

Grreat Choice® Aquarium Heater

They make a 20 watt version, too:

Top Fin® Betta Aquarium Heater

Of course, it would be better if you could start with the larger tank to begin with. You'll end up spending more money buying a small setup and then a larger setup, than if you start with the larger setup to begin with.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Of course, it would be better if you could start with the larger tank to begin with. You'll end up spending more money buying a small setup and then a larger setup, than if you start with the larger setup to begin with
Agreed.

This is what I think.

Heres a nice little tank.
Basic Aquarium, empty 10 gallon

$14.05

Add to that this filter,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-5W-220...001284?hash=item339e0d42c4:g:U20AAOSwPYZU5XyP

Some pea gravel and some live plants including floating ones.
attach a led light a heater and you end up with something like this.

Please note this Image is NOT of my tank, Also the tank in the image is the same size as the wallmart one

·
Registered
55 Posts
For water changes, it's better to be safe than sorry. Ammonia is much more deadly than stress in this case, so yes, daily water changes are a must until you're able to get a bigger tank.

As for a heater, I wouldn't trust Topfin brand, too many recalls and fried fish from it. Personally, I use the Eheim Jager 25 watt, but it's pretty large and I use it in a 5.5 gallon. People often reccomend the Hydor Theo 25 watt because it's small, reliable, and heats tanks well. You can find them on amazon or Fosters and smith.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.