Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So over the years ive always had smaller aquariums for my bettas always kept them apart ... sometimes i had more females together or a male with threee females ive tried all combinations and from my experience ive figured out that there isnt such a strict rule for bettas it just depends how agressive the specific betta is.

Ive now decided to set up a 100 gallon tank and I wanna do a betta sorrority. I wanna know if any of u guys have any experiences with that.
How many should i put in?
Should i do only one type of betta or mixed ?
Should I put a male in too?
Id love to hear some advice or maybe some things i need to watch for when doing a sorority...basicly what not to do and what to do....
The tank will be heavily planted and it will be quite a shallow but longer tank so they will have a lot of territory.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've heard 5 is the minimum for a female grouping. Never put a male in to that, they'll eventually attempt to kill him.

I'm not a big betta sorority person, I've seen too many female bettas that make life stressful for other bettas and other fish. Harder to break up a 5 pack.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i am planning to put deffenitly more than 5 but ive read that u shouldnt put more than 10 is that true?
I see. Do you think that even if they have a lot of space and hiding spots they will still be stressed ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I never had any luck for long

I have tried sororities 3 times all in heavily planted tanks. They start out fine and then some months down the road something changes. They grow up? Someone looks or acts different and the whole thing falls apart. Someone or other dies, and I end up having to find separate tanks for everyone left. It seems like as long as everything stays perfect with their initial setup, they keep their territories, everyone plays nice together. But the minute there is the slightest change the fighting starts. I won't do it again. They are so pretty together and it is great while it lasts, but it doesn't last long enough to make it worth it. If you decide to do it, be sure you have enough space to house everyone separately if necessary. It is no fun at 9 at night when you come home to a dead fish and ripped fins and no place to put them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes thata what im afraid off.Bettas are so unpredictable sometimes they play nice until they dont and someone ends up dead. I was thinking maybe not doing it or maybe tryint it once and if it doesnt work out ill have other fishies in that tank

·
Registered
230 Posts
That late night tank madness is what has kept me from bringing home another betta, or another larger tank.
I’ll get there I’m sure. Maybe in a few months.
But going in to say goodnight and finding one fish pacing, another pale and yet another with tattered fins (or something similarly overwhelming) and no tanks quite ready for a fish much less multiple tanks for each individual fish is too stressful - for all involved, humans and fish!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts