Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about this originally on Jan. 30, 2014 ( http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=341794 ) and after looking at the pics of him since then, I almost can't believe it's the same fish. :blueworry:

I can't seem to do anything for his swelling and he looks like he is going to literally burst open. Is that even possible? Should he be euthanized?

Overall, he seems generally happy. He is eating and pooping, his ammonia level is zero (that is the only thing I have a testing kit for).

He still swims around his tank and hangs out in his usual spots in his plant.
He functions as normal as the day I brought him home.

He's just one HUGE bulge...:shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyone have any insight, comments or suggestions?

....I don't know why this image is loading upside down. Maybe it just looks that way to me while previewing. If it rights itself when I hit submit, please disregard this rambling. If it remains upside down, please know that I tried to figure out out to flip it...he's not swimming upside down !...:oops:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
WOAH!! That is heartbreaking!!

I remember that other post, what have you been doing to treat him?!
What a little fighter, I cannot believe he's still around!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't believe it either! And really, I'm not doing much because I don't know what to do.
I check ammonia and feed him 5 days a week and suck out about a gallon of water from hi tank and replace it with 2Tbsp/gal water every 5-7 days.
And the weird thing is, he doesn't seem to know that he is not supposed to be that way! Acts normal in every way.
One one hand, I feel like, HOLY COW, I can't let this fish continue like this, but on the other hand, I feel like, well, he doesn't ACT like anything is wrong with him.....:dunno:

Can fish feel pain.....

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
They don't feel pain the same way we do. More reactive than ongoing, from what I understand. If he's still happy... I'd let him be happy.

Just double checking you've got him in Epson salt not Aq salt...? Did anyone recommend any stronger meds?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Poor guy. I hope he does get better. Glad to know he is still swimming about. Also have you tried giving him any greens? I know it sounds silly but it can help to push out blocks in their system.

Best wishes for him to get better and live a long happy fishy life.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I don't think at this point he's just backed up. Seems like there's some pretty serious organ issues, I doubt any greens would help. I'm hoping someone sees and can advise as to some antibiotics.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yeah, I don't think he is backed up. He poops. And it looks normal to me....(things I never thought I would say. Fish poop looks normal... :lol: )
And yes, its good 'ol fashioned magnesium sulfate USP grade.
As far as medication...I haven't a clue which direction to go. No experience in that regard AT ALL. This is my very first fish, ever!.....and personally, I am a "natural medicine" kinda gal. Not that I would be against traditional "medicine" for my little guy if it would help him.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
When in doubt (most of the time womp womp) I go by this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332

The treatment for dropsy is E salt like you've been doing, but also:
"Performing daily 100% water changes. Increase the temperature to 84*F. Add 1-2 tsp/gal Epsom Salt. Use API General Cure OR API Erythromycin OR Maracyn II and/or Maracyn for best results. Feed something containing Metronidazole, for example, Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. If caught early, Dropsy is curable."

I am no expert on the meds though. I believe it's caused by bacteria releasing their waste and also just taking up space in the organs n stuff. I have heard good things about combining Maracyn I and II, it covers pretty much all the bases. Again, take that with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just posting to give this a bump to keep it up in the thread.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When serching for images of "pineconing", I don't think my guy, Chili, looks as if he has that symptom. I mean, I know my guy is bloated like a friggin' balloon, but his scales don't appear to be popping up like that.
Am I just not seeing it, has anyone ever seen a betta get this big before? Is everyone in agreement that it probably IS dropsy?
I'll definitely get some medicine if I can get some more feedback on that. As it stands, the best (only) suggestion I have so far is to try Maracyn I and II.
Can I get a consensus? ......:lol:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Personally I'd like to know his eating habits. What kind of flakes do you feed him, what are the ingredients? What kind of freezedried bloodworms and how many at a time? How many times a week does he get the worms?
I think I read about freezedried bloodworms causing bloat in some bettas.

If you have tried fasting already, and he acts normal, it might just come down to the fact he has a congenital disorder. :/

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Have you tried internal parasite medication? Natural remedies like garlic aren't going to cut it if the fish is carrying around a large parasite load.

It won't hurt to try anyway. At this point in time I'd be trying anything based on the condition the fish is in.

With that said, I had a male who looked very similar to yours (just not as bloated) and he sadly passed. I was curious as to what actually caused the bulge because it didn't look like any dropsy I had ever seen. When I popped the bulge with a pin it was like it had just been made up of air. Another female of mine also died from the same thing. I have no idea what it was, and nothing I used seemed to help.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Also what color is your betta's .... excrement? xD

I found this as well, when researching.

"1. Bloating and Constipation

This is one of the most common problems bettas encounter--usually due to lack of experience on the fish keeper’s part in terms of what they feed their betta, how much they feed their betta, and how they prepare the food. Bettas were not designed by nature to eat dry, bready, air-filled foods--when you feed dry food to an aquatic animal, they go through something similar to us when we eat uncooked rice or noodles. The food expands in the gut as it absorbs moisture--causing bloating, discomfort, and constipation. It’s important that whenever you feed your betta dry food, be it flakes, pellets, or freeze dried, that the food be fully hydrated for a few minutes in a little tank water before use. Freeze-dried foods should be used sparingly, if at all, since they are responsible for much of the worst constipation in bettas. If the food is prepared correctly and the betta is not overfed, you will likely never deal with constipation and bloating. If you are feeding correctly and you come across bloating and constipation, you should be sure that your betta is being kept at the appropriate temperature--as all of the metabolic processes, including digestion, in cold blooded animals are dependent upon warm, stable temperatures.

Symptoms

Physical: The abdomen is visibly distended, when a light is shown through the fish, the distended area is opaque. The fish will not pass feces.

Behavioral: Usually no change is evident, the fish may be less active or hide often."
- quoted from http://bettaessentials.wikispaces.com/Sick+Betta+-+Bloating+&+Swelling

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Personally I'd like to know his eating habits. What kind of flakes do you feed him, what are the ingredients? What kind of freezedried bloodworms and how many at a time? How many times a week does he get the worms?
I think I read about freezedried bloodworms causing bloat in some bettas.

If you have tried fasting already, and he acts normal, it might just come down to the fact he has a congenital disorder. :/
Well, since the initial post back in January, I stopped the flakes and the blood worms. I bought some frozen Daphnia to "get him going" and fed him that for 2 or 3 days. Since then, his diet only consist of "Omega One Natural Protein Formula Betta Buffet Pellets". He gets 3-4 every morning. And I fast him Sat. and Sun.
The ingredients are listed as:
Ingredients:
Whole Salmon, Halibut, Shrimp, Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Fresh Kelp, Astaxanthin, Lecithin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude protein (min) 42%, crude fat (min) 12%, crude fiber (max) 2%, moisture (max) 8.5%, ash (max) 8%, phosphorus (min) .5%.

Also what color is your betta's .... excrement? xD
Mostly reddish(?) brown...

Also, just noticed this evening while watching him (he likes the attention), he was showing off and seem to be *rubbing* himself on the gravel on the bottom of his tank. While making his mad dashes around the tank, he did this 2 or 3 times. I don't know any other way to describe it. He got down real low, onto the gravel, and did like a little swimmy-swim ( :question: ) across the gravel. Swam to another part of his tank and did it again and then maybe again. I'm not positive on the third go round.......:oops:
Just kinda freaked me out because I have read that their little bodies are quite fragile and I was worried that he would tear himself. Maybe that's what he's trying to do.....:-( although I have never seen him do that before, and I watch him a lot....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, since the initial post back in January, I stopped the flakes and the blood worms. I bought some frozen Daphnia to "get him going" and fed him that for 2 or 3 days. Since then, his diet only consist of "Omega One Natural Protein Formula Betta Buffet Pellets". He gets 3-4 every morning. And I fast him Sat. and Sun.
The ingredients are listed as:
Ingredients:
Whole Salmon, Halibut, Shrimp, Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Fresh Kelp, Astaxanthin, Lecithin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude protein (min) 42%, crude fat (min) 12%, crude fiber (max) 2%, moisture (max) 8.5%, ash (max) 8%, phosphorus (min) .5%.

Mostly reddish(?) brown...

Also, just noticed this evening while watching him (he likes the attention), he was showing off and seem to be *rubbing* himself on the gravel on the bottom of his tank. While making his mad dashes around the tank, he did this 2 or 3 times. I don't know any other way to describe it. He got down real low, onto the gravel, and did like a little swimmy-swim ( :question: ) across the gravel. Swam to another part of his tank and did it again and then maybe again. I'm not positive on the third go round.......:oops:
Just kinda freaked me out because I have read that their little bodies are quite fragile and I was worried that he would tear himself. Maybe that's what he's trying to do.....:-( although I have never seen him do that before, and I watch him a lot....
If he is doing a behavior like that, then I would agree with a previous posters opinion on parasites. Its good that you switched his food, and those ingredients are good, so the problem isn't in his diet. Also, poo color is normal if its the same color as a terracotta pot.
Try treating him for the parasites and see what happens.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I am just O.O over this.

Second time I have seen a fish like this (but not this bad) and it's the second time I have wondered if it's possible for fish to get gas and be unable to expell it? I mean, the digestive process is basically like any other animal's isn't it? Anyone who has a dog knows about this (sorry, just sayin!)

It's silly, but I mean, it's feasible isn't it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know it's late, and I wont know an answer till mornng, but can anyone recommend a parasite medicine?
I'm not lazy, and will search google, but I tend to put more faith in betta caregivers than a simple search result..:lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.