Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor Spice is suffering from what I think is severe fin rot, mouth fungus? and body rot. It started when I noticed she got stuck in the intake part of the filter (her left pectoral fin was damaged), so I moved her to an empty 3 gallon tank I had. She was doing okay for a couple days, then over night she lost both her pectorals to what I think was either fin melt or severe fin rot. At this point I moved her into a breeder container and started an aquarium salt treatment. It didn't work and the fin rot moved to her mouth, caudal and dorsal fins. She stopped eating, and just lied there....it's so heart wrenching. I started a melafix treatment which seems to have helped ease her pain and she has started eating and trying to swim with her lack of pectorals. It's been working for a couple days, the rot has not advanced, but I don't see any new growth or appearance of new growth. I went to petsmart to get some tetramycin but they ran out and my LFS said it was best to euthanize her (their suggestion was throw her in the freezer.... but that sounds like more suffering for her)

At this point I am thinking of ending her suffering, she has no upper lip and needs to have her food fed to her (putting food directly into her mouth) and the best "swimming" she can do is wiggle her pectoral stubs in an attempt to move. Sometimes she'll dart about when it's feeding time but it's always away from the food and to try and hide.
Is there anything at all I can do to save her? If not... what's the best course of action? I'm completely heartbroken at her suffering.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 3 Gallon Tank - Inside a breeder container
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater?Yes
What temperature is your tank?80
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?Just the filter
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?No, It is planted and has frog bit for her comfort

Food:
What food brand do you use? Northfin Betta Bits, Frozen Blood Worms, Frozen Brine Shrimp
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried?No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?Before: 2x a day Currently: Every couple of hours, if she'll eat (only brine shrimp and blood worms, need to be brought right to her mouth

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 2x a week
What percentage of water did you change? 25-40% Depending on algae growth, debris, etc
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime + IAL

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:5-10ppm
pH: 7.4
Hardness (GH): Unknown
Alkalinity (KH): Unknown

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 2 weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? No longer has fins, absence of pectoral fins, half the caudal is gone, dorsal is almost gone with bones sticking out
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Lethargic, lays at the bottom a lot, scared during feedings (before she couldn't wait for food)
Is your Betta still eating? Some times, she didn't eat for a good 5 days, but now is starting to eat again... sort of
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Started with aquarium salt, then when it go worse a dilution of melafix, daily water changes of 50%
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Yes, has suffered from an injury to the mouth before but healed nicely, has also suffered from fin rot but was a mild case and fins also healed completely
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Approx. 7 months

She's in a breeder container inside a 3 gal half-moon tank so the pictures are a bit fuzzy. In addition the water is coloured by the IAL. I don't see any signs of dropsy, even though she looks bloated.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts