Housing
What size is your tank? 29 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 f
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? guppies

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? tetramin pellets and freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day, bloodworms once a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? nutrafin aqua + conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
cycled tank
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4 (usual)
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins have gone darker blue, but similarity to rot I've experienced only once before with another female. Dorsal fin on one has disintegrated partially, the other two looked fine until I removed them from the tank into untreated water, of a 10 gallon, where they are LINED with the dark blue.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Acting the same as usual. eating fine.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Marge had it before, I treated immediately with kanaplex, it left. It came back about a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? suggested kanaplex and furan-2 mix.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? They came from 0.75 ammonia level cups, used to have rot... they got better, then Marge was the one displaying the odd "clump" of blue about a month ago. It never spread, but I was sure it needed to be treated. Then it was gone, and now it is back and it HAS sprad and it HAS damaged her fins.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 12-13 months...

Guys I've never seen this kind of rot! Sarah had it, with the orange on her fin... Not many people replied to it, so I assumed it a dead end especially when she died, after that orange fin disintegrated. Marge is on the same route - her fin is disintegrating. The others LOOKED fine, until I put them in the 100% clean water of the unfiltered 10 gallon I just filled. They are ALL infected. I'm about to fish out Rose just in case (I cannot find her in the dense 29 gallon), but all the guppies were fine and it appeared before the guppies.

PLEASE any suggestions of what to do!!! :-( I'm trying to build my sorority and they're dying! I've done the Furan-2 mixed with Kanaplex... It looked to have been going but then the "rot" or whatever it is came back and came with a vengeance.... it's destroyed most of her dorsal fin, and it's LINING the fins of ALL my blues!!! :-(

excuse the cr....terribly pictures, and another note:
the distinct blue rot that was lining my other two females is no longer so viisble... but i can see that it is there - you cannot tell on the pictures :-( it's too faint. but it's there!

PICTURES: 1= Marge 2= Marge and Tina 3= Zebra 4= Tina
Marge has the most damage, Zebra does have the outline (now that the "clump of blue" abnormality is "hiding" there's a smoky ash grey lining rather than the blue!), Tina has large blue clumps not visible to pictures, but the second they were in that new water, they all showed the intensity of this "rot"!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I hope so :-( I have no idea what it is... With Sarah we treated with AQ salt, with no luck... Maracyn 2, and no luck... Kanaplex, and no luck.... I seriously am out of luck and thoughts of what to do. Everything makes it worse!! And all three are infected!! :-( I gotta find Rose in the tank... She has an underlying blue color, plus it only seems to affect my bettas, and no other fish...,.

edit: found her. She has it too, but not as bad. I don't know... it sounds crazy... but I think I might have beter chances of finding out what could stop it by splitting all four up.... One on clean water, one on AQ, one on Maracyn 2 or Furan 2, and one on strictly kanaplex :-(

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've retested the nitrite, nitrate and ammonia. Looks like nitrate is between 0 and 5

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope they don't mind, but I'd like to post a part of what they said, (yahooanswers). I was hoping one of the knowledgeable ones from there would answer (and gratefully, no snipping or "yelling" at me :) )

"Its a Bacterial Columnaris ,its not like the normal cotton wool growths you would normally see this is more extreme .
Meds can knock out the beneficial bacteria but not all meds will only some
To treat your fish Treat with copper sulfate or antibiotic"

The only problem is I cannot get my hands on those meds. D:

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sarah could've transfered it, when i had no idea she was sick with it. After she got over that fin and body rot I did try adding her into the sorority (the long way...remove females, do a water change, move everything, add them all back with her...) but they did not take to her so I had to remove her.

I just don't have a chance to get copper sulfate for a while.... And my guppies don't have it -.-

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well heyt he plants are already from the infectious tank anyways so they mind as well have some cover :| not like I can screw anything else up at this moment!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks. This way if one does die they aren't in the 29 and I can 1. find them and 2. get them out -.- I'm having no luck. I'm trying to make my sorority bigger :( not working so well.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I've noticed that Zebra has had a long very very thin (hair strand thin) odd white/clear "poo" coming out. Now, I've never dealt with internal parasites but I do have Jungle fizzy tabs for internal/external parasites. From what I have read, this is probably internal parasites. Yikes!

Maybe that is what is causing it?! I've never seen any of mine poop like that. Or a transparent/white poo either :| I've set a fizzy tab in there. none of the other girls have it - or so it looks. For now.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rose is not recovering, Marge seems to be recovering (after the "amputation" method tried), Zebra went crazy and brutally attacked Tina, who is now in a cup because I've run out of space!! Zebra left me with a bloody mess of a fish :-(

Ditsy won't be joining any surviving sorority, as she passed away yesterday night from the never-ending ich infestation despite multiple treatments with some of the strongest (and even some of the less strong!) medications. Savannah remains the only 100% healthy gal.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well she'll only be put down once it is passed the "point of no return" whereas she shows me she is suffering. so far, Tina is doing ok.. although.... the fluffy white fuzz stuff, there is MORE and it is thicker. I might use salt to defend her little body :/

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah :-( I may have no choice and need to use meds on Tina. When I got them they all fought off stunting and fin rot, no problem.... I got this far with them - I'd hate to lose them! Marge and Tina, you can see they are close. Tina was second in running for alpha, when her sister was first. so I don't know what is going to happen D:

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I doubt the cup has any heat LOL!! I'll switch her to an unoccupied 1 gallon "goldfish tank" (bahaha over my dead body will a goldie be in that...). It won't have a heater so the fuzzie won't get the care they want >:) I'll start her on AQ then =D poor gal. But, she's a tough little fighter. I'm glad I did not find her dead :eek:

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow! lol. Well, Zebra is in 2 gallons isolation for her sudden oncome of madness, and the other two..-checks- :| Rose's dorsal fin is going black, and Marge is recovering. And bullying. like her normal self x.x

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
My two cents, you've probably created a resistant strain of bacteria with all these meds that you're throwing at them at various times...compounding upon the fact that Furan-2 and KanaPlex are broadspectrum antibiotics...

I recommend tearing down the tank and bleaching it before letting anything live in it again.

Good Luck

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.