Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending some time reading through justinjinsuhan's thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=387370

I also started looking at more pictures showing betta fish ovaries. It was only about a week ago that I got my betta Sake. I posted some pictures of her on here having no idea what sex she was and it seemed from the photos that you could see the shape of ovaries along her side. However, in just the past week she has grown a bit and her fins have definitely gotten longer. She breeder I got her from said that she was for sure no older than 2.5 months, so she is young, but she is also quite large which is why she needed to be separated from her much smaller siblings. The more I look at her the more I'm doubting if I can still see the shape of ovaries along her body? Now I'm not sure if she is a she? Maybe her ovaries are just under developed and are not al large as I am expecting them to be, but it seems like form more pictures betta's ovaries are rather large and take up a significant portion of the length of the body.

She is a very translucent fish so I took some more pictures with natural and artificial light in the background. I'm just even more confused because in a couple pictures it looks like she might have ovaries, but in some of the pictures I am just not seeing anything? To me it looks like her stomach, and then there is nothing?

Anyway I am obviously no fish breeder or anything so if someone with a more experienced eye can take another look and tell me what they think that would be awesome!

Here is one of the original photos from last week:

And here are a bunch of photos I just now took:

This first photo does look to me like I might be seeing ovaries ?

But in these photos I am not so sure I see the ovaries:

I do have more photos but they all look fairly similar.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
It is a female, she's just not eggy right now so they aren't as apparent ^_^

Each fish is different and so are ovaries, some ovaries are large like justinjinsuhan's fish and others are small. They also carry their eggs differently, some will carry them more towards their stomach so they look almost bloated where others will carry them evenly and you'll see the nice cone shape of the ovaries. So it does all depend and then of course if they are even carrying eggs or not as sometimes they do not when they have no stimulation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree, shes a female! An adorable one at that. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hate to do this, I swear I am not trying to be annoying! But is everyone SURE she is a female??? xD her fins are just growing and growing and growing. She is a little over 3 months old now. Maybe 3.5 at the very oldest. She is starting to color up and has some small dark splotches on her side and one small dot of pigment on the caudal fin. Her pelvic fins are also very long.

But man look at the length of that anal fin! O.O I cannot find any pictures of female bettas with an anal fin like that... but maybe I'm still wrong xD

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm not a expert, but it looks to me like a male.
But I could be wrong, I think you'll just have to wait and see lol.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Hmm well I still see something under the swim bladder but the form over all does look much more male now than it did before.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Some females can have extremely long fins too, here's a girl I had a while ago. She's a VT which is why her anal fin is slanted so much. She's also severely eggy, she dropped eggs the next day.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, I agree with the others - it definitely is starting to look like a male now!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Some females can have extremely long fins too, here's a girl I had a while ago. She's a VT which is why her anal fin is slanted so much. She's also severely eggy, she dropped eggs the next day. yea she a nice red too

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought I would post an update... I am thinking I for sure have a boy now. I was told by the person who breed him that he was either a marble or a grizzle, but she wasn't sure since he came from a mixed grow out tank.

I *think* that he is starting to marble but I am not sure. He's got some splotches of what looks lick black on both of his sides and his tail still has a blue sheen to it.

She also said that all of the spawns were HMs so I am going with HM for his tail type. He should be somewhere between 4-5 months at this point

But feel free to let me know if you think there is still a chance that he's female!

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well that looks like a little boy to me! He's got some cool fins on him! Keep posting pictures I'd love to see how he changes :D
Thanks! I hope he does end up marbling. I am sure that he will at least color up more because he suddenly went from pink to pink with black splotches, but he hasn't changed much since. I'm curious to see what colors he might end up being and whether or not his fins will stay cellophane or color up too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.