Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I got two golden wonder killifish from petco today and was a bit confused on how to tell male vs female when i looked it up. I figured id upload some pics and ask for some help and maybe how to tell. I was also curious if anybody had tried them as betta buddies in a heavily planted tank and how that went. I thought they would look cool in my new imbelis' tank but read it doesnt always work out. Wanted to hear from someone with experience 馃檪

Argh theyre upsidedown again馃槫
20190811_193857_1565574671089.jpg 20190811_193733_1565574823698.jpg 20190811_193338_1565574853392.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
All the research id did suggests that colorwise i have a male and female but both their anal fins seem round to me... are there any other ways to tell?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
First off, Can the next monitor who sees this please change its name to "bettas and killis" and move it to compatiblity section?
~~~
So it sounds like theyre too small to sex. Turns out they get double the size petco said they would so thats fun (4 in rather than 2) 馃槙 anybody have any experience with them? Also, forgot to metion but theyre golden wonder kilifish. I didnt realise there were so many diff kinds...

Registered
I probably wouldn't house them with your B. imbellis. I have never kept this species of Killifish so can't help with the sexing of them, but I have read that they can be quite aggressive. Killifish will also eat whatever fits in their very large mouths.

I personally wouldn't mix Killifish and bubblenesting species of betta. They're better kept with the more peaceful species of mouthbrooders, such as B. channoides and B. albimarginata.

Killifish are also adept jumpers, having evolved to move from one body of water to another. So a tight-fitting lid is also a must with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts