Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, upon a stroll in the Betta market in Thailand, I stumbled upon a group of odd colored fish.....On second look, it turned out to be bettas, which kinda confused me, because I have not seen bettas of gold coloration? I have seen bright or pale yellows, but it doesnt come close to this color? It visibly has a level of shininess to it. Perhaps this is a freak of nature and I should steer clear incase any genetic abnormalities it may have?

Heres the pics.

Inputs guys and gals? Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The next time I go there I'll try to get some pics, though it wont be easy . This is why; the market itself is a generic fish market, ranging from sharks to poisonous fish :S (even the protected species) though often times there are multiple shops carrying multitudes of bettas. From prized bettas with prices of up to 200 dollars,anything beyond that they won't present as to prevent theft, to your normal everyday bettas. Heck I even found and bought some hybrid of wild/bred bettas.

Though typically, the shops will be spread out over the market itself, with each shop carrying an average of 50-100 bettas. Some shops show less, though have more stocked behind the back. There is also typically an average of 30-40 shops open on weekends. I merely call it betta market due to the fact that I only hunt for bettas, female especially.

On another note, there is also a number of actual betta farms, carrying a minimum of 1000 bettas, somehow bred in multiple simulated natural environments. I know this sounds odd but I also have yet to understand how this is done. Also upon research, I have found out that there's a particular betta farm that breeds only pure gold bettas(odd indeed).

Anyhow, I'll try to get pics next time of either the farm or the shops, though I don't really know the proper forum to post them in. And thanks for the inputs guys.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Thank you! I think the betta picture forum might be okay for market pictures? My research on mass breeding showed large ponds, like lagoons, in which bettas were bred in huge numbers. I'd love to see one of those for myself, too, but sadly travel is impossible for me these days.

Do you live in Thailand? It's one of the places I've always wanted to see, but moreso now I have discovered the joys of bettas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I do live in Thailand and can speak fluent Thai, so that's not a problem :D (well I'm half Thai half Japanese :p). As you can see, English also isnt my obstacle, so I can also keep everyone updated on the Thai betta news if everyone is pleased with it :D.

Please let me know!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Wow that is an awesome betta and the market sounds AMAZING!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input guys. What I'll try to do is, go to the actual farm that breeds this golden betta and see if I can grab anymore info and pics. Though that could take a while, so please hang tight :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are actually various farms within the vicinity of Bangkok. As a matter of fact most well known breeders are, in or near Bangkok. However, if you are looking for a one stop shop kind of place where anyone coming along with you will be happy, then I would recommend the Chatuchak market. I'm saying this because my girlfriend doesn't totally appreciate the idea of hunting for fish, as she only cares for ferrets and Venus fly traps -_-

At Chatuchak, you will gain access to moderate amount of Bettas, though a very large variety of fish species. You'll also gain access to other animals, clothes, food, furniture, etc.

Though I should also add that the best time to visit Chatuchak would be in Thursday early morning 7.00Am or earlier, as that's the time the fish breeders will secretly stock the shops and sell fish, which would not normall become accessible. Otherwise weekends would be ok as the shop stop.

If you are coming to Thailand, then please let me know! I'll be more than happy to translate for you :D

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
I have a gold butterfly male/female pair that looks very similar in colouring to the ones in your OP.

The colouring is absolutely spectacular, particularly when the water is stained with IAL. My two are perfectly healthy and the male essentially glows when he's really strutting his stuff.

I wondered what colouring would be produced if gold was crossed on gold. I don't actually know if it's simply a metallic yellow or something else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have no idea, but it is NOT a metallic or iridescent yellow at all. I was actually astounded to discover a golden betta, true golden. I've heard that controlled breeding of this coloration is already possible though one breeder in Thailand, though without the control, I've heard that this freak coloration will have a chance of occurring once every 5 generations of bettas. Of course, this is only been researched from calling people here and there, but I have yet to talk to the actual breeder. I'll let you guys know if I hear anymore from anyone. Anyone else have knowledge on this?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.