Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried to look and see if there was a similar post, but I didn't see anything related. This afternoon I noticed that a patch of scales on Rosie's left side looked like they were raised and going to fall off. How Bizarre!! I immediately became alarmed. Input?

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10 gallon
Does it have a filter? up to 10 gall. mini bio filter
Does it have a heater? yes.
What temperature is your tank? 76-78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? aeration from the bio filter which is hooked to an air pump
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? NO. Just 2 moss balls and some kind of plant.
Food:
What food brand do you use? Top Fin color-enhancing betta bits, and Kyorin micro wafers ideal for most tropical fish (her favorite, fed less often)
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? about 6 pellets, 2 times a day.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? it has been 8 days since her water change. I do a 50% water change every 7 to 9 days.
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? gravel vacuum
What additives do you use? Tetra Aqua safe plus, and Jungle Start Zyme.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:0 ppm
pH: 6.8-7.0 Ph
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 7 hours ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Not in the last 7 hours
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No. She is very active.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes. Her nick name is "Hunger B**ch"
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No, but she has always looked bloated since day 1.
How long have you owned your Betta? 7 to 9 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
Rosie has always looked bloated to me. I fast her one day a week. I know i was feeding her way too much. I reduced how much i fed her by 50% 6 weeks ago. I have also wondered how healthy overall her scales are? I wonder if they indicate she is stressed, or if she is just ready to mate. or if she is healthy?
7 to PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on "Go Advanced" and then on the paper clip in the toolbar.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok. so I really need to do a water change. I am weirded out by how dingy her tank has gotten in just 8 days. but my boyfriend was in town visiting and helped feed her a couple times. Maybe he over fed her once or twice??

I think its definitely a bacterial issue. I think Epsom salt would be good at this time. Should I put her in her hospital tank?

Attachments

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,489 Posts
She doesn't have dropsy which is indicated by "pineconing." This means the scales are standing out from the body like a pine cone. It looks more as if her scales have black outlining. In the photos it appears one of her scales has been scraped. Have you tested all of the decor and plants using hose to determine if they snag?

Dropsy.jpg
From NiceBetta.Blogspot

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
It looks like it could be dropsy I do see a bit of pine coning.

First thing stop feeding the fish for a few days.

Top Fin color-enhancing betta bits
I do not use or recommend this product

Kyorin micro wafers
Never heard of this stuff,

If fasting dont help you may need to do a Epsom salt dip.

How to prepare (any) dip for your fish:

Prepping for the dip is the same for either salt type. You will need:

• a clean fish-only 1 gallon container
  • a smaller container
  • Water conditioner
  • a measuring spoon
  • thermometer
  • net
  • your undivided attention!
  • watch/timer/alarm
  • salt per your needs

Here's what you need to do:

1. Fill your gallon container very fully with clean, treated water. Make sure the water is the same temperature as the water the fish came from in its tank via the thermometer. This prevents temperature shock.[/*]
  2. Add the salt per recommendation and stir it until it is fully dissolved.[/*]
  3. Get a second container with 1/4 salted water like your 1 gallon tank, and the rest (3/4) with tank water (this is the "reviving station").[/*]
  4. Carefully get your fish from its home and gently put it into the water. You must make sure that the fish does not pass out! You can tell if a fish has conked out if it is no longer breathing (look at its gills, by the eyes) or if it lists to the side and becomes still. It may knock out due to the sudden change in salinity (saltiness) of the water, but can be revived.[/*]
  5. *If the fish passes out or becomes extremely stressed, remove it! Carefully but hastily put the fish into your reviving station to revive. Then, put it into its home again and try the dip another time.[/*]
  6. If the fish is not super stressed and does not pass out, be very attentive during the recommended time in the dip as the fish may jump due to discomfort or stress. Pay close attention to how long the fish has been in the dip and do not exceed the time![/*]
  7. Once the fish is finished, put it into the reviving station to adjust back to more normal water parameters. Then, without pouring the salty water into your tank, put the fish back into its home to recover.[/*]

Epsom Salt is magnesium sulfate, which you may know as a saline (salt) laxative or a remedy to reduce swelling for humans. It is easily found nearly anywhere, often in first aid aisles and even in gas stations! Please note that humans use Epsom as a means to relax when infused into bathwater, so sometimes it has dyes or is scented. Please only use unscented, undyed Epsom when medicating your fish!

What's Epsom do?:
Epsom has a bunch of uses. Not surprisingly, its uses in fish are very similar to its uses in humans. When used properly in fish, it can act as a laxative as well as a means to reduce swelling. If used correctly in fish that have swim bladder disorder (SBD), epsom can help them swim better and even be able to sink.

What does this mean for my fish?:
These qualities mean you can help a bloated or constipated fish expel backed up waste and feel good again, as well as reduce swelling that may be caused by disease or infection. The swelling Epsom can assist with includes: popeye, external wound infection swelling, and in some cases relieve pressure from dropsy.

How much of this salt per gallon do I use?:
For Epsom, you use 1 TABLEspoon (TBSP) per gallon of water. This is three TEAspoons (TSP).

How long does the betta stay in this mixture?:
In Epsom, the betta should stay in for 10-15 minutes, with 10 being less severe need and 15 being a more severe need. Never exceed this time!

How long should my fish be left to acclimate before going back into its tank in this mixture?:
Acclimate your fish (see below) for 2-5 minutes before going back to avoid shock.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Good morning friend!

She does not have Dropsy yet.

That scale that you saw falling off, that was from rubbing against something. Usually decor that they accidentally rub against can cause irritation and for scales to fall off if she hit it hard enough. She could have been spooked at one point or did it intentionally, at this point we won't know.

I do agree to stop feeding her for the next 3-5 days to see if her bloating goes down. She also looks incredibly eggy. Having eggs in her does not mean you should breed her with any male! Breeding is a huge job so please don't just throw them together like some do >.< Instead, if you have a male, you can scoop her up in a see-through cup to float her in the male's tank for about 10-15 minutes. Take her back out and let her rest. Hopefully by showing her to a male, she will drop the eggs that is causing her to look so large.

You can use the epsom salt as well for now, that's not just for Dropsy but for swelling in general and may help her to release the eggs as well. 1 teaspoon per gallon in her regular tank and keep her in that for a few days. Doing baths for Epsom Salt is generally not helpful as they are not exposed to the salt long enough since Epsom takes longer to penetrate than Aquarium salt does.

·
Registered
28 Posts
She doesn't look like she has dropsy. I'd definitely fast her for a few days though. Plus when it's time to start feeding her again, I'd suggest only 3 pellets a day. Six is way to much.

·
Registered
670 Posts
the top photos don't look like dropsy but the second set it does look like its starting. I would put her in a hospital/quarantine and keep an eye on her if nothing else.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the feedback! The raised scales have fallen off today. She is still her social self.
I started fasting her and will not feed her until Thursday I guess. I want to do an epsom salt bath on her, but would the epsom salt irritate her injury?? I know to make sure to fully dissolve the salt so it doesnt sting, but I assume dissolved or not, it will sting her.

(i also applied aquarium putty around the eye holes of her house to protect from future injury)

As Russel said, her scales are lined in black. and in the second set of photos, the side that does look pine-coney is the side of the injury. Is there anything else I can do aside from the water change in her tank and the epsom salt bath?

I was feeding her 6 pellets, 2 times aday. Is that still way too much? the pellets are micro sized. I didnt think it was that much food!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good morning friend!

She does not have Dropsy yet.

That scale that you saw falling off, that was from rubbing against something. Usually decor that they accidentally rub against can cause irritation and for scales to fall off if she hit it hard enough. She could have been spooked at one point or did it intentionally, at this point we won't know.

I do agree to stop feeding her for the next 3-5 days to see if her bloating goes down. She also looks incredibly eggy. Having eggs in her does not mean you should breed her with any male! Breeding is a huge job so please don't just throw them together like some do >.< Instead, if you have a male, you can scoop her up in a see-through cup to float her in the male's tank for about 10-15 minutes. Take her back out and let her rest. Hopefully by showing her to a male, she will drop the eggs that is causing her to look so large.

You can use the epsom salt as well for now, that's not just for Dropsy but for swelling in general and may help her to release the eggs as well. 1 teaspoon per gallon in her regular tank and keep her in that for a few days. Doing baths for Epsom Salt is generally not helpful as they are not exposed to the salt long enough since Epsom takes longer to penetrate than Aquarium salt does.

So just dissolve that ratio of epsom salt in the new water like I would aquarium salt?

thanks!

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,489 Posts
Considering the size of the pellets I would continue feeding the same amount. One of the reasons I like New Life Spectrum and Omega One is their first ingredient is whole fish. Fish meal is the culprit in causing bloating and other problems and is why we used to fast our Betta. With improved foods like NLS and Omega One there's no need to fast. When it's time I would switch her to one of those.

And, yes, dissolve the Epsom Salt completely before adding to her aquarium water. Glad she's still feisty!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
One of the reasons I suggested to stop feeding is to encourage egg dropping or reabsorption. If she's eggy then she's getting enough protein and calcium to sustain those eggs, if she's fasted for a few days then those levels will drop steadily and she could reabsorb the eggs as a source of protein and calcium to up her levels again. I agree, NLS and Omega are both very good foods but I failed to mention my reasoning before! Apologies

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,489 Posts
One of the reasons I suggested to stop feeding is to encourage egg dropping or reabsorption. If she's eggy then she's getting enough protein and calcium to sustain those eggs, if she's fasted for a few days then those levels will drop steadily and she could reabsorb the eggs as a source of protein and calcium to up her levels again. I agree, NLS and Omega are both very good foods but I failed to mention my reasoning before! Apologies
:oops: I was responding to the advice that maintenance feeding should be cut from six micro pellets per day to three not the fasting part. I agree the Betta needs to be fasted. My bad on this one. :oops:

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
:oops: I was responding to the advice that maintenance feeding should be cut from six micro pellets per day to three not the fasting part. I agree the Betta needs to be fasted. My bad on this one. :oops:
oooohhhh, I see lol. We both mad a boo-boo, haha, oh well! All good then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts