Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shipping from New Orleans to Grand Island, Nebraska. The temperatures are in the upper 90s. I'm shipping overnight--so I'm assuming somewhere this involves an airplane.

I can't find sheets of Styrofoam. Anywhere. And I can't wait a week to have them delivered. I've tried Fedex and my local post office. They have an abundance of packing peanuts and bubble wrap but no sheets of Styrofoam.

I have some fancy "foam" stuff that Dell sent me when they sent my laptop. I have no idea if it keeps heat/cold in or out, but it cushions great. I also have a plastic container and lots of packing peanuts.

The set-up I have so far is sturdy box, foam, plastic box, packing peanuts, fish in triple wrapped bag.

Will this be enough to keep the heat out? I really don't know, but I need advice. The only thing I can think is maybe to put tin foil behind the foam as a further insulator.

Because of the temperatures I won't be adding a heat pack.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
My fish were shipped with the "fancy foam" you get from computers :p

I'd worry more if the temperature was at 55 >.> truthfully. Bettas are hardy. And plus they will be in and out of cold warehous/post office backrooms, through a plane, through a truck, plus if it rains wherever they go..

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I use reflective foil insulation. It was designed by NASA to keep heat in/out. It's about $15 at Lowes for enough for about five or six small Priority boxes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But as far as I know, we don't have a Lowes in New Orleans. And if we do, I can't get there. (I don't own a car.) Do you know if my fish will be safe?

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Should be. Once I cut my insulation I use a plastic bag filled with shredded newspaper. I place the fish in the newspaper and cover it with more shredded paper.

Another option is a cooler. Most grocery stores sell Styrofoam coolers for like $5.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts