Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so I was doing my first water change today and I accidentally added water that was 87 degrees F to an 80 degree F betta tank. It rose the tank temperature to 87 F degrees. I have since then taken steps to cool the tank down and it is now at about 85 F degrees. Will my fish survive this? What other steps should I take to help my fish?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he is darting a lot. I can't tell if it is because of the water temperature or cause he was recently added to the tank because I just got him about a week ago and he has been darting every day since then.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi! how is the temperature now? Is he still darting?
By the way, do you have anything for him to hide in such as plants, or decorations that are cave like (be sure any of these don't have sharp edges)? He might be anxious because he's feeling too exposed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The temperature is at 80 degrees F now. He is still darting. I do have some plants & clay pots for him to hide in if needed.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Are the clay pots on their sides, I'm guessing? Is there a plant or two in front of the pot opening?

One of mine calmed down pretty quickly, but the other took a while before he decided I and the new environment were ok. Hopefully your boy becomes more calm over time - do you have it very dark (as possible) at night so he can rest and sleep?

·
Registered
272 Posts
In my opinion although I'm not a fish vet, I'm thinking he probably already has, with no small tip of the hat to you that you realized it so quickly and began addressing the issue right away :).

·
Registered
995 Posts
Is he darting along the glass or in the actual tank? Is he darting only when you or someone else or around or constantly?

·
Super Moderator
19,506 Posts
If the holes in the clay pots are open they need to be sealed. You can use filter media or aquarium sealant or wedge a smooth rock in them. Otherwise, your Betta could find himself caught.

A good rule of thumb is if you can see your Betta at a glance you don't have enough plants. 75% planting is about the right amount for shade-loving fish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts