Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this in betta chat but i think that was the wrong place so i am posting it here.I really want to upgrade my betta to a 10 gallon. I havent convinced my mom yet but if i do i want to have a list of everything i will need right there. Here is what i have come up with so far. Am i missing anything? Is there something that isnt neccessary? Thanks in advance

- 10g starter kit (includes filter,heater, and hood)
- 1 floating glass thermometer
- water conditioner (what type do you recommend? Prime is kinda expensive any other recommendations?)
- api freshwater master test kit
- quikrete sand from home depot
- pure ammonia
- decorations/ornaments
- silk plants
- live plants
- more bloodworms
- aglae wafers/thins (maybe getting kuhli loaches or some cories)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Looks like you off to a great start to me.

PRIME may seem expensive to the casual viewer but read the directions compared to cheaper brands. The latter will ask you to drop multiple CAPFULS and in no time you will buying another bottle. PRIME is 2 drops per gallon of water so even the smallest bottle will last you a very long time.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
On the note of water conditioner. You can use API Tap Water Conditioner. I love that one, also 1-3 drops per gallon so it lasts a long time! If you have city or town water I would suggest just getting Prime but if you have well, you can just use the API one.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks guys. I think i will just splurge and get some prime

·
Registered
717 Posts
depends on where yo get the prime. i got a medium size bottle from my lfs for 4 dollars 8 months ago when we had a 5 gallon and we still have over half a bottle. we also use api stress coat. depending on the type of bulbs the hood comes with you may want to get better bulbs. some come with cheap bulbs that are not the right kavlin. what 10 gallon kit are you looking at. sometimes its better to buy it all seperate because the kits dont always come with the best filters

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm not a fan of top fin at all. My girlfriend bought a heater from there that didn't work at all and was built very cheap and I think the top fin filters are cheaply built too. I bought the 10 gallon tetra kit at petsmart but didn't even use the filter. It came with a internal filter but I got the api super clean filter and LOVE IT.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reviews sound pretty good but i might buy a new heater or filter if i need too

·
Registered
903 Posts
Small thing of Aquarium salt. A little in your bettas tank will keep your betta calm. I use it in my betta tanks and both of my bettas love it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Also Petco sells this mirror toy for bettas so your betta can flare at his reflection. I bought one and love it. I can now get great pictures of my two bettas when they attack the ( threat).

·
Registered
717 Posts
Aquarium salt is for treating sickness not every day use

·
Registered
903 Posts
Also watch out when getting a filter. You need to check to see if the place selling the filter also sells the filter cartridges. I learned the hard way when I got my filter. Now I have to order new cartridges online.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Really? Aquarium salt is only for when bettas are sick? Well then the guy who helped me find betta stuff was wrong.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Now I have to change the water in both tanks. Great

·
Registered
717 Posts
The reviews sound pretty good but i might buy a new heater or filter if i need too
I know Walmart has a nice start up kit for around 30 dollars no heater but than you can pick a heater that has good reviews

·
Registered
903 Posts
I bought my filter at Walmart. Before realizing I have to order new cartridges online.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Really? Aquarium salt is only for when bettas are sick? Well then the guy who helped me find betta stuff was wrong.
Yeah aquarium salt is a treatment for sickness. If used daily it can lessen the effects when needed and what filter did you get at Walmart??

·
Registered
903 Posts
It came with the tank. But i like how the noises are relaxing my tanks are on my night stand right by the side of the bed I sleep on. Now that I think about it it's worth the hassle of ordering online as long as eBay has free shipping.

·
Registered
903 Posts
This filter is for (flare tank). I call it flare tank because when I only have the aquarium light on my tough boy lucky flares at his reflection.

·
Registered
903 Posts
But the bettas at Walmart is depressing to see

1 - 20 of 31 Posts