Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

First of all I want to thank those who helped me with Reina's fungus infection. It's all gone now and seems to be staying gone!

Now this is something I've been seeing on her for a long time now. This gold coloring. It started on the front of her anal fin, right up close to her body. It's a little line of it right behind her vent. It's been there since May. Then I noticed a spot on her head, as pictured. It hasn't changed in size since. Now I just noticed a new spot on her pectoral fin. Her pectoral fins are mostly clear, except for a 2 mm spot of blue closest to her body. Now that part is golden on one fin. I don't know how long that has been there. She wouldn't let me get a good picture of her side to show you, but the coloring is the same as on the top. Shimmery gold. Her belly under her gills are sort of gold too. More like a green-ish gold. But her belly has always been kinda golden.

She has no other specs of gold on her body, so at the moment I'm not suspecting velvet unless one of you have experienced this before and can claim it as such.

One thing I do have to mention is that in May, this little girl had an almost deadly jump outside her tank. I don't know how long she had been out of her water, but I found her alive. Sticky, with no slime coat, glazed eyes, and her fins half dead, she survived. She's better than ever now. Her fins grew back larger and more beautiful than before, except that her dorsal fin has a bend in it, which looks like a cute little comb-over. I don't remember seeing these spots before that day in May, so that deadly jump could have been the cause of them. But if it means dead scales or flesh, then wouldn't her pectoral fin be in danger?

Other than the coloring, she is a super happy and active girl who loves the new tank I got her over a week ago. My little Queen (Reina in Spanish).

·
Registered
11 Posts
im very new to the site but after i got my bettas i did alot of research and read quite a few times that sometimes betta fish change color and thats totally natural, so unless yours starts acting unnaturally i dont think its an issue

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I agree that I don't think that is velvet. Usually velvet appears throughout the whole body and can only REALLY be seen when you shine a bright flashlight on your fish. It also doesn't appear in spots but rather looks like your fish was sprinkled with gold dust.

I think this is a natural color change

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.