Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male CT betta and yo get it to eat you have to literary put the food right above him. And he is really thin. And he keeps searching for food at the bottom of his bowl and i keep trying to get him to eat. (I just got him yesterday) he also tried to eat a pebble. What should i do? Should i be worried? ?:cry::-:)BIGnervous:

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
It's pretty normal for a fish to not eat for around 1 week when it just arrived. Don't worry. And what do you mean thin? Like a soft curve or a hollow belly?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I wouldn't worry unless he stops eating all together. It could be just because he's new and not accustomed to his surroundings yet. My betta is such a little pig, that he's so busy swimming back and forth across the front of the tank when he sees me walk up, that I have to stick the tip of my finger in the water to let him know where I'm going to drop the pellet otherwise he missess it completely and it eventually sinks. This way of feeding isn't so bad because the benefit is I watch him eat each pellet, I know exactly how much he's eating and I know there are no pellets rotting at the bottom and dirtying up the water :)

Oh, and he might not be "eating" the gravel as much as exploring his new surroundings... they can be very curious

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Oh boy. Can you post a picture? He MIGHT have internal parasites since that's known to cause weight loss. Is his poo white and stringy? If it is, he has that. Just try to feed him a pellet everyday and see how it goes. I don't know any other illness besides internal parasites that can cause weight loss except for TB. :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
My fish went into hiding for 4 days one time. Just leave it alone, it takes time for him to get acoustomed to his surroundings. I had a Baby do the same thing. The best thing to do is put food in like you usually do, and just leave him alone. Don't micromanage your fish, it stresses them out.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
That is a very skinny fish! Get him live or frozen food PRONTO! He'll possibly eat those since Bettas love them. Or even freeze dried. That's known to bloat but your fish needs that right now. Or even pellets soaked in garlic juice. It can enhance the smell and taste of the pellet to make the Betta want to eat it. Hope he eats soon!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help!! I just got my betta not to long ago i didnt really think of the size of the fish when i bought him... i had a female betta before this one and she was fat. Lol now i got a really skinny one. Ive been feeding thid one a little extra everytime to get him bigger

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
OK, that's good. When his belly is normal sized, you could feed him normally instead of extra. :)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
What's his poo like? If it's like string and has a lot of white in it, he could have internal parasites.

Normal betta poop is the colour of whatever you're feeding them. If it looks pretty normal, slowly increase his nutrition with live food and good quality pellets.

I've had two very thin fish - one had a terrible parasite problem that led to many other health issues until he died. The other is just weedy and stunted, and never has grown or filled out, he also has many health issues but is still kicking on -- they are from the same store, my guess is the same supplier, too. All my other fish are fat and super healthy. I've found good food and very clean water works to keep my weedy guy as good as he gets.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Does your fish have a heater in the tank, and what size is the tank? also what kind of food are you feeding him, if he is not eating it, you may want to switch to another type of food, preferably something that entices a betta to eat, with a lot of protein, and very small, sometimes if you feed a pellet too big they will not eat it, if your not watching what they are taking in, you might think he's eating and is not, if your pellets are sinking, or are you feeding flakes?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I have a male CT betta and yo get it to eat you have to literary put the food right above him. And he is really thin. And he keeps searching for food at the bottom of his bowl and i keep trying to get him to eat. (I just got him yesterday) he also tried to eat a pebble. What should i do? Should i be worried? ?:cry::-:)BIGnervous:
You mention bowl?? it sounds like he's cold, and will refuse food, if he's not happy..:-(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He eats it i watch him eat a few then he will search for more. I feed him what the food bottle told me to but i do feed it extra to get him bigger. I feed him pellets. ....his poop looks like a rock. It black and it looks hard. But his food is a orangey color.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts