Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought this little piece of wood (Mopani wood). I read in different threads that its always better to boil the wood before putting it in a tank.
My tank already has shrimps so I would not like to risk anything..
so what should I do.. ? the guy at store said that I did not need to boil it..

here's a picture of the piece of wood.

· Registered
409 Posts
Always boil wood before using it for many reasons. There are several microscopic organisms that can survive in dry wood that would kill your fish. Boiling to a core temp of 150 degrees kills them. Also as others have stated it will water log your wood so you can sink it and have it placed properly.

There are also a couple species of aquatic plants that could come with your wood if you don't boil it. Then you have air born chemicals and illnesses that could be on it that you would not know about.

Always boil wood before putting it in your tank.

· Registered
130 Posts
I never boiled mine and it never floated. However.... I did soak it in the sink for 2 weeks, changing the water every day, before I put it in the tank. My Betta loves it and there have been no adverse effects :)

· Registered
1,682 Posts
I had never heard about boiling it to remove nastiness...but it does make sense. I have done what Micherie described though with soaking and water changes, but I did that to get the tannins out. :) I've also heard that boiling takes the tannins out much, much more quickly than traditional soaking, but I've also heard that the tannins can also ruin pots. Just an FYI. :)

I've not had issues with the Mopani wood floating, but I've got some other, "leggier" driftwood that DEFINITELY floats until it gets fully waterlogged! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.