Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a lovely Halfmoon male( Flavio ) Who quite obviously had fin damage. I also purchased two veil tail males from the same pet store ( Indigo and Sprig ). I also have a dumbo halfmoon male (Fabio )who ALSO had substantial fin damage and was yes, yet again from the same pet store. The last one is a Veil tail male whom I've owned the longest (Mr. Phish) ( about a year and yes they are all in different tanks haha ) I recently noticed my newest one, Flavio's fins were worsening (at the time I was using Melafix and have since stopped) So I came here and was greeted with friendly advice and was able to get a diagnosis for my fish. The more I think about this, the more I think there may be an outbreak that wasn't being cared for, When I bought Sprig and Indigo they were changing water and using it from the same bucket I'm almost positive this is why AT LEAST the THREE I now own have this disease I wouldn't be surprised if the rest are suffering from it too. I think I should confront the pet store to let them know they could have a serious outbreak of fin rot on their hands if they don't treat the fish soon but another part of me asks would they even care? or would they let these beautiful fish suffer until they are purchased and may have a chance at getting the care they need? What do you guys think? Am I just over thinking this or does it seem like a coincidence that three I bought within days of each other have fin rot yet the one I've had for nearly a year doesn't? I didn't post this in health or emergencies as It doesn't directly regard an emergency with my fish but possibly the entire stock of them at the pet store and since I've already got my fish's treatments figured out.:shock:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I would "inform" rather than confront. If you go at it diplomatically you'll have a better chance of helping the poor fish in their "care".
Start with the store manager, if that doesn't get an immediate action find the regional manager. All the way to the top if need be. Being as polite and "helpfu" as you can stomach.
It is difficult to do when there are precious lives at stake, but alienating the wrong person can be a death sentence at this point.
Good luck. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Is this a major chain store? Like Petco, PetSmart, Pet Supplies Plus, etc? If yes, there should be a place in their website where you can submit "comments". Write about your experience and concerns there. Have you visited the store beforehand to explain your concerns to an employee? If yes, note the employee's name and response - word by word. If they act like they don't care, note it in your complaint. Unfortunately that's as far as you can go with major chains. If you're lucky they'll have a manager call you back. If not you won't even hear back. Just... Just shop somewhere else. It's just one of those harsh reality we can do little about :(

If it's a privately-owned local store, ask to speak to the owner. Usually they run the store themselves. That should do more. A little. But then again mistreatment of Bettas in pet stores is just something you gotta learn to not go too crazy about.

Reactions: torileeann11

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would "inform" rather than confront. If you go at it diplomatically you'll have a better chance of helping the poor fish in their "care".
^ exactly what i came to say! also agreeing with everything else posted so far.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I said confront for lack of a better word but thanks for helping with that. It is petsmart sadly. Ill ask to speak with a manager today as I need to go over by there anyways and its already been two weeks I just hope it hasn't started to take its toll too seriously. It's so sad that people think "it's just a fish you cant medicate them" I just really hope that's not the response I get and that they actually do something about it before the huge amount of bettas they had are in even more pain

1 - 6 of 6 Posts