Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been hearing a lot about Marimo Moss Balls lately. I was just wondering exactly what kind of benefits they provide.
I'm assuming they do something to reduce ammonia and give something for bacteria to stick on, which are both things that would be advantageous for me.
I have a 3gal Kritter Keeper with a Whisper 3i filter right now. Would I benefit from getting a moss ball?

-MadameDesu

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where did you order it from?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have seen moss balls for sale at the local pet co, around $5. I don't believe they were labeled marimo, just sold as moss balls.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aren't those the synthetic ones?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
They run about $10 in my local petsmart.. so prices vary. I plan on ordering a few online since that is just too much o-o
The funny thing I've heard about moss balls, is that they act like their alive.. If you don't secure them, even with no current, some of them will swim around the bottom of your tank, and even climb up your tank walls o-o
They catch debris like old food and fish poop cause of this, so you can rinse it out every week.
Also.. if you get one.. you have to name it.. o-O

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
There are many benefits to having marimo moss (though not actually moss) balls in your tank as well as similar plants like java moss. For one, they help maintain water quality and consume ammonia, but unless 50% of your tank is planted then it won't leave a big dent on ammonia

they are almost an interactive plant, they will be seen moving around in the tank and skidding below the surface of the water. They do this to attain to preferred conditions.

They will pick up algae and help with controlling it, most of the time it won't even grow.... Even thought hey are technically "algae" they seem to prevent it from growing

They do have a few requirements though. Like they need to be cleaned out every 1 week caused y debris pickup, along with turning onto a different side as if they stay on one side permanatly it starts to turn a brownish color

They do require some light and do much better in a dim light as in high light they seem to develop unsightly brown spots, but don't neccisarilly need any added fertilizers unless the conditions are undesirable

·
Registered
54 Posts
These are not synthetic, just green moss balls in betta cups. Ill go back and check up on them. I thought about picking one up but went with some other plants and deco.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I may get one, if not for anything but the fact that Rosie seems bored. Maybe a new tank mate will cheer her up a bit :)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I've got marimo balls for my goldfish tank as they can tolerate the cooler water and give them something to nibble on. Marimo are a type of algae and don't actually move on their own nor have I seen any evidence of them helping with algae. They move due to water currents and fish interaction. If you are looking for something to help with water quality, there are better plants for that (anarcharis, hornwort, duckweed, water sprite). Marimo is slow-growing and not great at helping water quality. If you want something interesting for your tank then go ahead. But it's not going to help with water quality.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
http://www.marimoballs.com/
Actually koimaiden they CAN move on their own. This is because algae isn't a plant, it's a plant like protist, a separate kingdom of life.. Kind of like amoeba. I'm sure if you had just a light in one part of the tank, it would sense it and move over there, even without a current.. Protists have a special light sensing "organ" in them, and the ability to move towards it. :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Anyone ever heard of christmas moss? I came across some at pet super market. Picked it up and put it in my small betta tank. It only like 40 ozs but I have been using it for new fish and sick fish. My new orange and white male hmpk seems to like hiding under it. Dosn't seem to change the water quality, I'm not a fan of fake plants, so I'm trying a few different things. Seem to be having a lot of luck with mondo grass.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Anyone ever heard of christmas moss? I came across some at pet super market. Picked it up and put it in my small betta tank. It only like 40 ozs but I have been using it for new fish and sick fish. My new orange and white male hmpk seems to like hiding under it. Dosn't seem to change the water quality, I'm not a fan of fake plants, so I'm trying a few different things. Seem to be having a lot of luck with mondo grass.
Christmas Moss is a low maintenance plant, and a good choice. I wish we had it here.
Mondo grass is not an aquatic plant.. and will start to rot after a while, keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, I bought the only moss I saw. PetSmart sells mondo grass out of an aquarium, claiming they are aquatic. I will keep a close eye on it. I've also tried anacris which seems to loose leaves and clutter the bottom of the tank. Something called dollarwort I believe and sagattaria. Came across some betta bulbs, petco had the best deal, and if they come in good I'm going to plant all my tanks and do away with alot of these plants. Great to have a place to come and chat about aquarium plants and whatnot.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
A lot of aquatic plants melt down- lose all their leaves- when placed in different water conditions.. Usually they will regenerate if you have what they need.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Marimo Balls
Actually koimaiden they CAN move on their own. This is because algae isn't a plant, it's a plant like protist, a separate kingdom of life.. Kind of like amoeba. I'm sure if you had just a light in one part of the tank, it would sense it and move over there, even without a current.. Protists have a special light sensing "organ" in them, and the ability to move towards it. :D
But marimo algae is a plant. There are some things that we call algae that are protists and even prokaryotes (algae isn't a very scientific term lol). Marimos are made of the algae Aegagropila linnaei which is in the kingdom Plantae (plants). Protists are of the kingdom Protista. Marimo only move due to wave action which causes their circular shape. Moving up and down in the water column is caused by oxygen production at different times in the day and also happens in other floating plants.

They are a great beginner plant as they really can survive everywhere but in complete darkness. Marimo and anubias are great beginner plants. Nearly impossible to kill! Anarcharis can be picky as some species have higher light demands. Mondo grass isn't an aquatic plant. I have the stuff growing in my backyard. It can stand its roots being wet for a while but it's not going to survive long-term.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Forget all the beneficial stuff, they're fun to look at! I have 2. One in Goblins tank and one in the little shrimp tank. My shrimp love to nom on Gargoyle and Gremlin. I've seen Goblin even nudging it around the tank. :)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
o_O I forgot to name my moss balls! I feel bad, so now I have Igor and Nurse :) Igor is all lumpy and Nurse is in my hospital tank

·
Registered
675 Posts
They are also available on aquabid! But watch out...cuz aquabid is VERY ADDICTIVE!
And stay away from the betta bid/sale area....I'm up 5 tanks since I found aquabid...1 30gal, 1 20g, 3 10g, 2 5gal, 1 2.5g, and one 10gallon? Tub for betta love nest...

But, I did find some wonderful plant deals!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts