Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'll soon be away for a week and a half, and am wondering wether I should keep the heater in my tank running. I have a 2.5 gallon tank with one betta. In the summer the heater doesn't work during the day because the air temperature keeps the tank steady at 29 celsius and at night the temperature drops a bit to 28.5. I think that the heater runs a bit during the night. I'm wondering if I should keep the tank running because I've had some bad luck with heaters in the past, and maybe the risk of having the heater go haywire is bigger than the price of the slight temp drop at night (about 1.5 degrees celsius) with no heater?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Yes,

I would keep it in. Only because you really have no idea how much the temperature will change while you away. I have found that houses and apartments in general are colder when they don't have people using and living in them. There could also be a cold streak while you are away or something else. It is BEST to always keep the heaters in. I leave the heaters in my tanks plugged in all year around. I hardly seem the little light on during the summer but at least I always know that my fish's water will be constantly warm enough.

·
Registered
737 Posts
While it is true that your heater could malfunction and overheat the water while you are away, that can also happen overnight when you are home, with the same disastrous consequences. I once had a heater get the water to about 90 degrees one evening -- luckily I noticed it then (I had just gotten home from work), and my fish survived.

I would say that you should keep the heater in while you are away. Having someone check on the tank occasionally is a good idea (if it is possible).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have someone come every 3 days or so.. I tried setting up a web cam but I thought about it too late. I'll definitely do it next time. The idea was to set up skype and enable auto answer
That way I can set the camera towards the tank and look at it whenever I want. Hope everything will go smoothly :-(

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
A light timer is a surge protector that automatically turns off/on at a certain time of day (you can set it to turn on at 6-8pm and off at 8-9 am, as long as your heater is plugged in the heater will turn off/on at those times)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.