Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My darling boy King Popzy passed the other day and now his tank is empty. I was thinking of moving Prince Plum in but not until I know its safe. Popzy had dropsy and I'm treating the tank with api tc tetracycline right now. should I don other meds on the tank?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm sorry your fish passed away, SIP. Honestly you should probably just tear it down and bleach it, medicating an empty tank is pretty much just a waste of medication.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Not necessarily, just take it apart and wipe it down with normal household bleach, soak any gravel, decor or artificial plants thoroughly in a 1:1 solution of bleach to water and do a short dip for any live plants (except moss balls!!) in a 5% solution of bleach, after this, rinse everything very well multiple times with seachem prime and water leave everything out in the sun (except the live plants, put live plants in a qt tank and use a very high dose of prime until you are ready to set your tank back up) after all of this your tank will be 100% fine for another fish.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh man.
I don't know about the bleach thing though
I'm not calling you a lier but I don't like the idea...
can I boil decor and sand instead?
what about my sponge filter? I'm just scared the bleach will kill Plum

·
Banned
2,033 Posts
You can use bleach and then leave the items out for 48-71 hours, for the chlorine to dissipate. It is a safe thing to do, just don't bleach, rinse, then add another fish immediately. Bleach, rinse REALLY well, then sit out dry for a few days.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My aunt tried a bleach thingy and then she put about ten fish inside and they all died in minutes
I am not sure about the bleach thing

·
Registered
908 Posts
some diseases can only be eradicated by bleach. use a very small amount of bleach, rinse rinse rinse, and then fill the tank up and add like 10x dechlorinator (bleach is chlorine), let it sit in the sun, then rinse rinse rinse again.

·
Registered
908 Posts
and re: the original question, it depends on what caused the dropsy, it's just a word that means organ failure, it's not a disease in itself.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Bleach doesn't kill everything. It doesn't kill mycobacterium marinum (and this is not as rare as some may have you think). If you can get your hands on hospital grade Lysol (sold on Amazon), use that to disinfect your tank, filter housing, tubes, and other tank gear.

To rinse after soak; the tank I generally set outside on the front porch and let the water hose run in it for 30 minutes.

To rinse filter housing, tubes, and other gear after soaking I put all of it in a bucket, sit it in the tub, and let the water run in the bucket for 30 minutes.

If you can get your hands on 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, this also works as a soak to kill mycobacterium marinum.

I'm not saying that your fish had myco, but if it died from unknown causes then it's safer to take precautions and completely sanitize everything properly.

Ditch the substrate and anything in the tank that was porous (this includes filter media, clay pots etc. etc. etc.). It's nearly impossible to sanitize and rinse those things clean. Always start fresh with those items when a fish dies from an unknown cause (as someone said previously, Dropsy is a symptom, not a disease).

·
Registered
276 Posts
100% agree with mousie, it is always better to air on the side of caution, but, bleach is easier to remove than many other disinfectants, so rinse rinse rinse and then rinse a whole lot more, your nose is a very good detector of chemicals, if it smells like whatever you used at all, you need to rinse more.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh man got it. So I just have to be real careful. I think Popzy got organ failure from old age more then anything. I tried all sorts of meds and non helped even a little.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts