Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having problems with my betta for quite a while. About a month ago he was laying at the bottom of his tank and wouldn't get up. After a ton of asking and researching, I determined it was fin rot, and I treated him with seachem's kanaplex and put in aquarium salt. He perked up and he swims around now, but the fin rot doesn't seem to have healed, really. I've followed all the directions.
He's been in a tank with a heater but no filter, and I've been doing 100% water changes every two days (because that's the treatment time for kanaplex).
I just ordered a tank with a filter and I ordered my water testing kit...I've been doing everything I know to do. He won't flare at a mirror anymore.
I also think he's old, because he has that grayish coloring underneath his chin. I'm just wondering if it would be kinder to put him out of his misery at this point. There's not much more I can do. And if he won't get better, I don't want to infect a brand new tank :/.
Advice would be most appreciated.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 72 F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? he's by himself

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari betta bio-gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? one pellet every other day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I add prime and a pH neutralizer

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has lost some of his fin and he doesn't flare like he used to. His fins were clamped, and they aren't as much, but he still isn't showing off...
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He seems timid, won't flare.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a month ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? seachem's kanaplex and aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? I believe he is old, because he has a "beard", or the gray discoloring under his chin.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems.....

Some of the problem may be too cool of water and nutrition.....

Once you complete the antibiotic-I would get the water temp up to at least 76F and start feeding him more...a good quality varied diet in small frequent meals

In the current tank I would make twice weekly water changes-1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality....

Don't give up on him too soon.....give him the tools so he can build his immune response and the rest should follow.....along with water quality-good nutrition and proper water temp is needed.....

Can you post a pic.....and describe the fin rot and you are sure he is not biting.....

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Black doesn't always mean fin rot-usually fin rot will have a crusty look to it-like it being eaten away...by the video he looks fairly healthy and responsive to you....get the water temp up and start feeding him...he can't heal without proper nutrition, water quality or temp......

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi, I watched your video, and your betta looks quite good to me. So I vote nay--don't put him down. (you should see a video of a *really* sick betta.) He can recover from fin rot, as OFL said (I'm new around here, but she's a super expert on all fishy matters), you should give his immune system time to recover; antibiotics kill good bacteria too, as well as the bad stuff. Fins take a looong time to grow back, and when they start regrowing they look white at first.

Have a look at this person's videos on YouTube (he has had problems with beating fin rot, and we have exchanged a couple of messages regarding this):

1. How to treat fin rot and prevent it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aOZbBXIXjs

2. Fin rot update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcJdAB9KEdk

As you can see, his betta has been struggling with fin rot for a while, but he's not giving up!

Good luck with your fish.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aww. Yeah, I can't accurately find out what the water problem is since I haven't gotten my test kit yet. It's in the mail now.

It just seemed to me like he was losing more fin, and that's why I've been worried. I used the kanaplex because I heard it was pretty much the best. Should I just stop using it?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would feed him 4 pellets a day (2 in the morning and 2 at night), bump up the heat to about 80F degrees, and cut down the water changes. I feel like you can get away with a 50% and then a 100% every week. I'm sure he gets a bit stressed with all the water changes, lack of food, and cold. Once you fix all of this I'm sure he will regain some color and start to regrow fins. He honestly looks fine to me.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Aw, he just looks cold to me!!!
Lol, pick up his feeding a bit more (4-6 pellets a day) and up the temp to about 76 like OFL said and he shold show improvements, includig colorins :)

See--
Look at Pickle
Day I got him... fins all clamped and such a sad color

Then he got food in his tummy and a warm place to chill....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts