Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having problems with my betta for quite a while. About a month ago he was laying at the bottom of his tank and wouldn't get up. After a ton of asking and researching, I determined it was fin rot, and I treated him with seachem's kanaplex and put in aquarium salt. He perked up and he swims around now, but the fin rot doesn't seem to have healed, really. I've followed all the directions.
He's been in a tank with a heater but no filter, and I've been doing 100% water changes every two days (because that's the treatment time for kanaplex).
I just ordered a tank with a filter and I ordered my water testing kit...I've been doing everything I know to do. He won't flare at a mirror anymore.
I also think he's old, because he has that grayish coloring underneath his chin. I'm just wondering if it would be kinder to put him out of his misery at this point. There's not much more I can do. And if he won't get better, I don't want to infect a brand new tank :/.
Advice would be most appreciated.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 72 F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? he's by himself

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari betta bio-gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? one pellet every other day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I add prime and a pH neutralizer

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has lost some of his fin and he doesn't flare like he used to. His fins were clamped, and they aren't as much, but he still isn't showing off...
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He seems timid, won't flare.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a month ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? seachem's kanaplex and aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? I believe he is old, because he has a "beard", or the gray discoloring under his chin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aww. Yeah, I can't accurately find out what the water problem is since I haven't gotten my test kit yet. It's in the mail now.

It just seemed to me like he was losing more fin, and that's why I've been worried. I used the kanaplex because I heard it was pretty much the best. Should I just stop using it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.