Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local aquarium store I frequent has some gorgeous, well-maintained fancy bettas (there's a young Half-moon dumbo I've been eyeing) and they are definitely in better condition than the average pet store's betta-in-a-cup. But I also kinda want to rescue one of those poor bettas from the Petsmart. I'm not quite sure I have the experience to save it though. I'm still very new at fish keeping and I'm afraid I might bring the betta home just for it to die the next day because I don't know what medication it needs to recover from the cup!

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's a tough one. I'm always too nervous to bring home a rescue because I'm not experienced with illnesses at all. The Petsmart by me takes AWFUL care of their bettas and I can't stand to even look at them. It's so hard to pick which one needs help most. The way I look at it is that we're rescuing any betta we buy by giving it a much better life :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, I agree, even the bettas from the nice aquarium store will have a much better life in a 5 gallon tank instead of a (small but clean) bowl. The other problem, of course, is that once you save one, you have to save another one the next time...and the next time...and pretty soon you can't see one wall of your room anymore because of all the happy, healthy bettas :roll:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Twelve?! Where did you keep them all? My parents would freak if I got even half that many!
Also yes, dumbos are adorable. They look so excited all the time with their "ears" waving around. Ooh, your boy is so pretty! :shock:
The one I'm considering has a more uneven and lighter pastel coloring. He's also pretty small, which makes me think that he's an adolescent. I asked the fish store dude how old he was and he estimated 6 months.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just go with your gut. I was in the market for a new betta and my husband, son, and I went looking at every LFS, Petsmart, Petco etc. in our area. Then one evening I was picking up a few things at Walmart and as always I just had to check out the bettas lol! I ended up buying the cutest little crowntail boy. I always feel like the fish picks you when it comes to bettas. If there's one on your mind that you keep thinking about maybe you should go back and get him :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that's what I did with Franky. I walked past him in the store about three times, and each time he watched me, his face pressed up against the glass. Then when I talked to him, he did this little dance wiggle thing (he still does it when he's getting fed) and I fell in love xD
I have been thinking about that little dumbo a lot, but my parents are going to grumble about me getting another one. They'd grumble even more if they knew how much the fish, plus a tank and all it's decor would cost me...

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
lol Jasper was a "This one is the most hyper so I'll get him" and I've grown to absolutely love him. Cas chose me, he spoke to me *figuratively speaking of course* and I had to buy a whole new set up for him and take him home. and Oliver...well I needed him lol. I could not get him out of my mind and I couldn't be happier with how he's turning out. So pretty

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha you're lucky you can just impulse buy them like that. I wish I could...sigh. I sort of decided last night though that I would rather spend the money to make Franky as comfortable as possible instead of getting another betta. He still gets too stressed about everything, so I'm going to try a few tricks that I read about while doing research last night. Any suggestions for good, safe hidey places? I've had a lot of trouble with plastic ornaments poisoning the water, etc. I got some driftwood today, though, and I heard that PVC pipe, hotglue, and aquarium pebbles make a good little house.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's what happened with me when picking up Bo a few weeks ago at Petco. He literally gave me puppy dog eyes while staring outside his cup, and I just couldn't leave him.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I have flower balls from petco that I love and they are pretty safe for bettas. None of them have hurt my boys' fins and they don't leech smells or bubble up. I did notice a fishy smell in Jasper's tank after putting one in but I found out it was due to something else and changed that out so now no more fishy smell.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Haha you're lucky you can just impulse buy them like that. I wish I could...sigh. I sort of decided last night though that I would rather spend the money to make Franky as comfortable as possible instead of getting another betta. He still gets too stressed about everything, so I'm going to try a few tricks that I read about while doing research last night. Any suggestions for good, safe hidey places? I've had a lot of trouble with plastic ornaments poisoning the water, etc. I got some driftwood today, though, and I heard that PVC pipe, hotglue, and aquarium pebbles make a good little house.
I just took an old fish food container rinsed and washed it really good cut out the bottom and placed it in the tank as a tube

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those are good ideas! Looks like I'm going shopping this weekend. I just hope I don't see a betta that I can't live without. xD

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Coconuts! If you have a saw, or know someone who can cut a coconut in half, and cut a little "door" they make the cutest caves! I have a couple coconut caves with moss growing in as the roof, and my bettas LOVE them! (ironically, so do my snails)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.