Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to start up a 52 litre (13.7 gallons) betta fish community fish tank 1 male Halfmoon Betta 3 - 4 Apple Snails I have done extensive research and am aware that Betta can stress in large tanks so I have lots of silk plants and places for him the hide.

My question is should I have an Airstone, I would only have a small one with very little flow just enough to oxygenate the water to give the snails the best environment would the agitation be canceled out by the size of the tank and the plants or would it stress the Betta out to much if so is there really anything to worry about or is a good filter and water quality enough to keep the oxygen levels high for the snails. I want everyone to be as happy and well as possible.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I don't think it's necessary.

I think what you want are mystery snails not apple snails. Apple snails can grow up to a size of apple. Mystery snails grow to a size of golf ball. I have never owned them, so I don't know the difference other than their sizes though.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Oh, no need to apologize.

Starting a new tank is always fun :) Do mystery snails reproduce fast? I have ramhorn snails in my tank. I feel I'm getting too many of them now...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If they are in the right condition yes crazy fast, so if you don't want them to only get males because females can come to you containing fertilized eggs, sexing can be hard but there is plenty of information on how to do it all over the place.

·
Super Moderator
2,784 Posts
You can use an airstone to oxygenate the tank but it's not necessary. What you may find if you put one in is that it will entertain your betta, so if you have the equipment, give it a try.

Mine used to like playing with the bubbles (before he became a grumpy old fish) but it used to blow him away from the airstone. I came home one day to find that he had wedged himself under a plant leaf so that he could stick his face in the bubble stream without it blowing him around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts