Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't planning to breed anyone until I'm out of college in 3 years but hen I found her http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashm&1406067583 and I'm thinking she would be great to make interesting dumbos with Mesmer http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?albumid=21210 but that means I'd be dividing the 10g 3 ways while I'm at college and breeding them early may, idk. It would be a lot of work but I love this girl (bidding ends in 3 hours) I realize her body shape isn't great but mesmer's is perfect, do you think the pairing would be good enough to justify the amount of work I'd need to do to keep her at college for an extra year and rush the spawn or will another girl like her (or better) come around? Another thing is money, I already need to spend $100+ to get enough fish supplies/upgrades to last a year at college, idk. Would the pair be worth the trouble?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With 15 min left in the auction I'm gonna exercise self control T.T I really wanted her, the only reason I have the self control is she has a pointy face (not quite a spoon nose) and the more I look at her the more she looks like a he :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I'd have said wait, anyway. It might be fun to try breeding now, but waiting until you have a place, appropriate setup, and time will mean that you can give it your best and even improve the breed. Besides, imagine getting lucky and ending up with a large spawn to care for while you're taking college classes.

How many jars are we talking about cleaning? :lol:

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I'm going into my senior year of undergrad right now, and having spent the past 3 years in college, I would advise you to wait. Spare time generally becomes a thing of the past in college (as I'm sure you already realize or you wouldn't be asking this question!), and unfortunately a fun hobby can easily become a chore when you're always running around :(

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be going into my sophomore year, if I had gotten her I would have kept her as a pet till next summer, spawned early-mid May, and adopted them out in August at 3 months, or spawned just before finals, transported them home mid May, and adopted them out mid-August at 4 months. Also I would have only let them embrace 3 times to keep the # if fry low, dang it I don't like being responsible!! :cry:

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dad said I should get it, then when I said the auction was over he said "there are other fish in the sea-- get it? Get it huh?" (Dad jokes, but he always makes me smile)

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Well that's nice that your father is on board with your fish hobby :)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He isn't really, but he realized how badly I wanted her. I guess that's (one of the reasons) why I can respect him so much, even of he disapproves of something (like my fish) if he realizes that it's important to that person he will support them.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Dad jokes...:lol:

What is it with dads all having the same bad puns and ridiculous lines? Do they have a secret meeting or something? Mentor ships in lame humor? What? :lol:

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I keep checking aquabid for one of her siblings, nope. Now I'm obsessed with the concept of creating a line of truly MG EEs (halfmoon of course) but that must wait until after college

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.