Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

as most of you know by all of my threads i have been posting, i am going to be dividing my ten gallon after i restart my tank in a couple of years(i know it is a long time, but i have fish already in that tank and don't plan on redoing it yet). I plan to put a sponge filter and heater in the middle with two dividers on each side. Does anybody know how effective 1 sponge filter is for a whole 10 gallon tank? I know nothing about sponge filters, or how to set them up, so i need a lot of advice lol:lol:. I was also considering a Aqua Clear filter because i have read good reviews and have heard they have an adjustable flow. Should i get an Aqua Clear or sponge filter? Again, i know absolutely NOTHING about sponge filters! Just hoping to see some of all your great divided tanks and what you used for dividers!

Thanks again,

MyRainbowBettaFish :lol:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't have a divided tank but I have a sponge filter and love it. I use a Lustar Hydro 1 filter (recommended for 5 to 20 gal.) in my 10 gallon tank. I'm such a fan of sponge filters, I even keep two Lustar Hydro 2 (recommended for 10 to 30 gal.) running in my 75 gallon just for supplemental filtration and to have in case I have to set up a QT or hospital tank.

They're very simple and run off an air pump and they're good for betta tanks because of their very low current. The only thing I don't like about them is the fact that they're not very attractive so I just try to hide them behind decorations or plants.

More info about sponge filters here:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/SpongeFilter.html

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I love both my divided tanks and my sponge filters. I'm setting up a large sponge filter in my goldfish tank right now to be used a QT filter. My current betta filters are home-made sponge filters, but I'm going to be switching to commercial ones when my summer job begins. I whole-heartily believe they are the best filters for bettas. Here are my two divided betta tanks. You can kinda see the bubble filters along the back wall of the middle section.

At the time the first picture was taken, it had stronger lighting than my second one. As a result I'm currently battling some PITA algae.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I absolutely live by sponge filters when it comes to bettas! I don't know any other filter that has so much control; what's better is that you can run multiple filters off one air pump! The biggest downside is the noise the pump can make if it or the cable is vibrating against anything though this is usually easy to rectify through some gentle nudging into the "right" position.

I don't have a photo of my divided tank (waiting for it to send from my phone... takes a whiiiile) but I have the heater on one side, filter on the other and they are both pressed up against the divider. My tank is somewhere between 13 and 14 gallons and is also planted.

There are two types of sponge filter you can buy: stand-alone ones (which have a weighted bottom) and stick-to-the-side ones. I like the stick to the side ones, they often have two sponges on them (depending on size) and are super efficient.

Something I'd personally suggest buying if you go for a sponge filter is a non-return valve -- especially if your air pump will be sat outside the tank below the water line. Non-return valves stop the water from being sucked into the air line and going into the air pump and therefore increase its longvity. They cost anywhere between $0.50 and $5, depends on brand you get - they are tiny though so it might be worth getting a spare in case you need to change airline tubing and lose it!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
great tanks everybody! i really appreciate it! So for the sponge filters, i would need a sponge filter (obviously) , airline tubing (how much for 10 gallon?), and what types of valves?

I would appreciate it if you guys could create me a list of what i need for just the sponge filter. How do you install it? Is their any stores you recommend purchasing them from?

Thanks again and i can't wait to see more of everybody's tanks!

Hopefully my computer will let me post pictures of my tank......

can you please help me with this thread???

here is the thread:http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=102758
If you can help that would be awesome! I really want to show you guys my tank!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
XD Yeah, that's a bottle wrapped around the filter intake, to prevent the betta from getting stuck to the side. The filter is in the back left corner of the tank. The divider is a store bought one with the clear material replaced with a black mesh from Michaels.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Finally got an updated photo of my aquarium!

Right, for a sponge filter you need the following:
- Air pump
For a 10 gallon you won't need an overly powerful one. I use a Tetra brand one.
- Air line
It's better to get too much rather than too little just in case some of it splits so I'd suggest buying about a meter or so. It also depends on where the pump will be situated.
- Air-Flow Valve
This should come with the air pump, if not you can always buy them individually. This controls how much air is passed through to the filter.
- Filter
Of course... the sponge filter!

Optional stuff includes:
- Non-Return Valve

I've attached a random diagram of how the stuff fits together. The black box is the sponge filter, the blue lines are the air line, red box is non-return valve, gold box is the adjustment valve and the green box is the air pump. Each "thing" should have a little nozzel that the air tubing is squeezed on to (it is a tight squeeze, the tighter the better).

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
Oh, thank you so much! Kaze's side is more densely planted than Echo's (Kaze on the right, Echo on the left) as he doesn't have as many cave ornaments. He has a really good habit of scratching himself up on the most gentle of things so I've made sure he only has driftwood structures as hiding places, thought the extra plants might also help compensate.

I added some java ferns, marimo moss balls and a coconut shell bridge covered in pearl moss yesterday after they ended their quarantine, seems the guys approve of them!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally got an updated photo of my aquarium!

Right, for a sponge filter you need the following:
- Air pump
For a 10 gallon you won't need an overly powerful one. I use a Tetra brand one.
- Air line
It's better to get too much rather than too little just in case some of it splits so I'd suggest buying about a meter or so. It also depends on where the pump will be situated.
- Air-Flow Valve
This should come with the air pump, if not you can always buy them individually. This controls how much air is passed through to the filter.
- Filter
Of course... the sponge filter!

Optional stuff includes:
- Non-Return Valve

I've attached a random diagram of how the stuff fits together. The black box is the sponge filter, the blue lines are the air line, red box is non-return valve, gold box is the adjustment valve and the green box is the air pump. Each "thing" should have a little nozzel that the air tubing is squeezed on to (it is a tight squeeze, the tighter the better).

Good luck!

thanks you so much for taking the time to upload these pictures and write these instructions! They helped me out a lot!

Did you just put your filter on one side of the tank and heater on the other?
Also where did you get your divider/what is it made out of?
I was thinking about putting my filter and heater in the middle with two dividers on each side to separate my bettas.

Thanks!:lol:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.