1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2.5 gal
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes, but I don't use it, as it's the summertime and temperature lingers around 76-80 F
What temperature is your tank? At the moment, 76 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega One Buffet Pellets and Flakes
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Both
Freeze-dried? Yes, bloodworms
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Switch between flakes and pellets every other day, fast on Thursday (4-6 pellets ONCE a day, a pinch of flakes ONCE a day) - Bloodworms twice a week, only two or three.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every week on Tuesday and Saturday
What percentage of water did you change? 50% each time
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use? Prime (i swear to god i overdose this, no matter how hard i try i can't get JUST four drops), Stress Coat+

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

*Using Seachem Sensors*
Ammonia: 0.05 ppm
Nitrite: Unknown
Nitrate: Unknown
pH: 7.0 - 7.4 (color is in between)
Hardness (GH): Unknown
Alkalinity (KH): Unknown

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? This morning
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? His fins are shredded (there's one or two tiny holes along with the shredded fins) and wrinkling.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He seems fine.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? AQ Salt (1 tsp every water change)
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not that I know of.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Nearly two months, he wasn't sick.

My Fish (yes, i've renamed him Fish after weeks of contemplating a good name) has somehow shredded his fins! I'm pretty sure he didn't bite them, because they don't really look U-shaped. I use silk plants, and I even covered his filter with a sponge pre-filter upon buying his tank. Should I be getting a treatment, or stick with the Stress Coat and AQ salt? Is this something else?

Thank you! I don't want him to end up without his dorsal :(

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi there! Sorry about Fish's hole-y fin. Sadly, with the damage occurring that rapidly, I'd have to say fin biting. Even if it's not a U shape it can still be fin biting. Mine, for example, loves to bit holes in is caudal and later have them rip through. It's awfully annoying, but I've for the most part gotten over it... for the most part.
There's a very good chance it's noting you're doing wrong and he's just board and has a crappy habit. The only things I can suggest that sometimes lessen it are dimmer light, IAL, weaker current (adding a baffle), adding more tall plants, and using the heater 24/7. Even in the summer time it's suprising how much temp. can fluxuate over night and this fluxuation could stress him out.
Again, don't please don't be like past me and assume the biting is you're fault. Sometimes they just do that. Just try out the above ideas make sure to keep the water pristine after a biting episode so it doesn't get infected. As for the wrinkling, I'd guess fin curling, which stinks but at least isn't an illness.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts