Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to fish keeping and I absolutely love it!! My two gallon tank has slowly upgraded to a 37 gallon tank and I could use some advice about what kind of animals to add to it. Currently I have a Betta, three Mini Red Serpae Tetras, and another fish that I believe is of the Cichlid family but I'm not sure exactly. I would like to add some kind of bottom dweller maybe like a cherry shrimp, or dwarf crayfish? As well as some more fish but I have no idea what kinds to get?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Photo of the mystery fish can help ID it, serpae tetra need to be in groups of 6 or more minimum to spread aggression. Also they are known to be fin nippers so I hope they are not in with the betta. Shrimp will definitely be eaten by the tetra, iffy with betta (some are killers, some are very mellow), and most cichlids are predictors so likely to be a snack for them too. But be careful with crayfish-they also nip (pinch) fins, I've heard some will grab on for a free ride across the tank.. but not so great for fish fins.....

·
Registered
670 Posts
the cherry shrimp are more likely to be eaten and the crawfish..I am not sure but there are pretty blue ones though I don't know how aggressive they are. I really dislike aggressive things in the aquarium b/c I don't like the worry. Cory catfish are really active. The albino ones are $1 each at petsmart til July 5 and put some of those in it's like watching popcorn popping in your aquarium LOL. There are patterned ones, too. I'm talking about your 37g. The 2.5 you have would be good for a cherry shrimp only tank. They breed easily so you could have a nice breeding colony and then if some in the main tank get eaten it's not too bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are all in the 37 gallon tank together, and have been for several months now and seem to get along great. At first my Betta, Dexter, wasn't sure what to think of the trio but now they pretty much just ignore each other. I had no idea crayfish would do that thanks!! And making a tank of just cherry shrimp would be awesome Ill have to do some research on keeping them though. And I can't figure out how to add a picture of the mystery fish who pretty much just stays at the bottom around the drift wood.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For some reason my picture won't upload but I did some looking and I believe it is a baby cichlid it is about an inch big right now.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Be careful with the cichlid, I don't think they're compatible with Bettas. They may be getting along now but when they mature, they become more aggressive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay thanks! I'll make sure to keep an eye out for meanness, any advice on what would make a good tank mate?

·
Super Moderator
22,919 Posts
Aqua Aurora is correct. I have Dwarf Crays in my aquariums and while they will snatch on to Betta tails they usually only do it when annoyed. And it only happens once or twice. ;-)

I would highly recommend you have lots and lots of plants. A veritable jungle if you're going to have smaller fish and inverts. I have three Cambarellus species of Cray: CPO (Dwarf Orange), Brazos/Texan and Blue (Shufeldtii). I also have a breeding colony of Sakura Red Shrimp in my 20 long community. Not all babies survive but enough do. I, however, wouldn't recommend shrimp in a Betta tank unless it were properly planted. Otherwise the shrimp become little more than food.

I would also caution against a Cichlid as did the others. They do best in species-only tanks as they naturally aggressive (not mean) as they age.

All by commuity tanks are Betta-based. I have mixtures of Pygmy and Habrosus Cories, Oto, Ember and Neon Tetra, Crays, Shrimp, African Dwarf Frogs, Celestial Pearl Danio, Espei Rasbora, Sundanio axelrodi, Chili and Phoenix Rasbora, Ruby Tetra, Dario Dario, Dario hysginon, Dario kajal.

I had to remove my Dexter from the eight because after more than a year he started stalking; prior to that he ignored his tank mates. So watch carefully and if you see any sort of stalking behavior have a back up plan ready. If you don't remove your Betta immediately they will either kill the other fish or the other fish will be too stressed to survive. BTW, Dexter will be living in a 5.5 with Dwarf Crays as they are able to defend themselves.

Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like the dwarf orange, thats the kind I've been considering buying, so are they ok in a community tank then? And my tank is a cube so its pretty tall will that cause problems with the crays or shrimp? And with the shrimp what kind of plants would you recommend and are they really as hard to keep as everyone says? The woman at the fish store knows exactly the set up I have and my fish because I go in so often she gave me the Cichlid because she said it was a less aggressive bread of the cichlids and she said if it caused problems later on I can bring it back. Thank you for the fish list I will definitely be looking them up!! I will make sure I watch dexter as well thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
22,919 Posts
Yes, dwarf shrimp are as hard to keep as everyone says. Mostly because they need a jungle of plants and a very mature tank. They also need lots of hides...as do Crays...because after they molt they are their most vulnerable to attack.

Once the 37 is cycled I would wait a month or more to add Crays. I just got some from forum member JDAquatics and they are doing well. Oh, and it doesn't matter how tall a tank is for shrimp or Crays.

Is the two gallon still cycled? If it is you could make it a shrimp tank. This will keep it cycled and if Dexter does what mine did you can put him in the two and move the shrimp to the 37.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 37 is already cycled, and no I do not have it anymore I went from it to a 5 to a 10 and wanted to go bigger again so I went ahead with the 37 and skipped the tank sizes in between. Thank you so much I really appreciate the advice!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts