Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Pets: 5 dogs, 4 fish tanks, 2 frogs
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y’all. I am going to be getting a 3 gallon tank this Wednesday or Thursday. I am hoping to make it a little shrimp tank. But I would love suggestions. What are the simplist shrimp to take care of? Are there differences in the difficulty betweeen different shrimp? I was hoping for some blue ones especially.

I will do my more reasearch. But any tips and tricks are definetly appreciated as I have never done this before:

·
Registered
459 Posts
For me the most hardy shrimp that I have had are the Opae Ula, they do need brackish water (1.008 to 1.018) other than that no additional hardware (heater, pump etc) they do really well in a tank with the Marimo Moss Balls too.

·
Registered
6 Bettas, Innumerable Snails, 3 Mice, 2 Hissing roaches
2,919 Posts
I've always kept ghost/glass shrimp. They can get decent sized (a past one was as big as Jalaluddin), and I've heard they're hardier than other species.

I know PetSmart carries them, I believe some locations also have some of the prettier species.

I've found my shrimp ate anything. Fellow (deceased) shrimp, leftover fish food, decaying plant matter, algae wafers.. They're a wonderful cleanup crew. Fluval also makes a shrimp pellet if you're interested.

I would recommend hiding places, and I believe you already keep planted tanks(?) but I'd definitely recommend that for shrimp.

I'm not sure how you acclimate your water critters. But I've found I've had more shrimp handle the process better and last longer afterwards if I do a long acclimation process.
Like, 20 minutes temp. adjusting. Put in a small bit of aquarium water, wait another 20mins. And I slowly add until it gets to about 2/3rds aquarium water, then I scoop them in.

Sorry I started to sort of ramble. Hope this helps somewhat! :LOL:
Happy shrimp hunting! Hope you find ones you like too!

Reactions: betta4ever!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Neocaridinas are pretty hardy and they come in a bunch of colors, blue included. I would just let the tank mature a little and/or add some wood or leaves so there is some bacteria for the shrimplettes to eat if they breed.
Arthropod Insect Plant Terrestrial plant Parasite

Organism Wood Terrestrial plant Insect Marine biology

Arthropod Terrestrial plant Underwater Liquid Fish

Plant Arthropod Insect Branch Vegetation

Water Plant Terrestrial plant Liquid Fish supply

Whatever you end up going with, please share some photos of your shrimp!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks
I've always kept ghost/glass shrimp. They can get decent sized (a past one was as big as Jalaluddin), and I've heard they're hardier than other species.

I know PetSmart carries them, I believe some locations also have some of the prettier species.

I've found my shrimp ate anything. Fellow (deceased) shrimp, leftover fish food, decaying plant matter, algae wafers.. They're a wonderful cleanup crew. Fluval also makes a shrimp pellet if you're interested.

I would recommend hiding places, and I believe you already keep planted tanks(?) but I'd definitely recommend that for shrimp.

I'm not sure how you acclimate your water critters. But I've found I've had more shrimp handle the process better and last longer afterwards if I do a long acclimation process.
Like, 20 minutes temp. adjusting. Put in a small bit of aquarium water, wait another 20mins. And I slowly add until it gets to about 2/3rds aquarium water, then I scoop them in.

Sorry I started to sort of ramble. Hope this helps somewhat! :LOL:
Happy shrimp hunting! Hope you find ones you like too!
Thanks! I have done one semi planted tank. I am not the best, planted tank but I will put somthing together.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cannot do brackish. But I found out the store had ghost shrimp, bamboo shrimp or assorted colour shrimp. So I would like some care tips on them. I think 3 gallon might be 2 small for bamboo shrimp. How many shrimp in 3 gallon?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I would say maximum initial stock of 10-15 if going with the Red Cherry Shrimp (Neocardinias), as they will breed and establish a colony. Most places i see usually recommend between 2 and 5 shrimp per gallon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts