Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had not been able to afford a nice tank for my betta but decided it was an emergency when i saw my betta start to just sit at the bottom of his tank. He has started swimming around a little more but still frequently lays at the bottom (I will continue to monitor this). Because he started swimming around I saw that there was a part of his fin that looks gone. I always check him for disease (basically daily) and i'm pretty sure this happened overnight. I went to pick up some prime and decided to get a snail and shrimp too. I read online and thought that maybe it was the shrimp that had taken a bite out of him. Is it maybe not a ghost shrimp at all or is my fish having fin rot? there a picture of the shrimp and my fish below, please help.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
no
Does it have a heater?
yes
What temperature is your tank?
80F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
ghost shrimp & gold inca snail (put in new tank, not before)

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Tetra betta flake medley
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
flakes
Freeze-dried?
no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
every other day, about a pinch or two

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
weekly
What percentage of water did you change?
70%
What is the source of your water?
spring water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
dip out
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?
I now have prime conditioner, not in old bowl

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.
I have no idea

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
when I put him in his new tank with the other critters
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
part of fin missing
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
not as active, started swimming around more today
Is your Betta still eating?
yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
changed to a bigger tank
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
no
How long have you owned your Betta?
five months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
no

·
Super Moderator
22,744 Posts
He does not appear to have fin rot. He could be fin biting or suffering from damage from decor. OR...look up Macro Shrimp (or Macro Ghost Shrimp) and compare photos with yours. Sometimes these two wind up in the same shipping bag. Normal Ghosties are non-aggressive; Maco's, on the other hand, are aggressive and have larger claws. I would post photos but I'm having Internet connection issues right now.

When you get a chance, post a photo of the entire tank; doesn't matter if we can see your boy well. Betta do not do well in "Zen" tanks with little shade and bright lights. Such tanks can stress them and cause fin biting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't get a picture in right now but I don't have any plastic plants. I did have a more plastic-y decoration I threw away upon seeing his fin because that might've been it but I didn't see like a fin "chunk" anywhere in the tank. I'll get a photo in as soon as I can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for replying, I looked into my ghostie and he is in fact one. It is confirmed tail biting, caught him in the act. I will check the tanks quality to make sure its not his home thats making him stressed, I think he is just annoyed by his tail because he tried turning around, ran into his tail, and turned again quickly to bite. Once again, thank you for all your help.

·
Super Moderator
22,744 Posts
Pack his tank with real or silk plants. I like to anchor stem plants in a back corner and let them flow across the water line. This provides shade and diffuses the light. But know that some Betta, no matter what you do "right" will still bite fins. I can readily attest to that one!

He is such a pretty fish. I know you must really enjoy him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts