Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Betta is in a 5 gallon fluval chi tank. I had two ghost shrimp which were in the tank when they were little and I introduced Bubba into the tank shortly after. They all seemed to get along fine. The shrimp would occasionally chase Bubba and he would ignore them, occasionally chasing them away. They got pretty big, about 2 inches. I would usually feed Bubba at the top and sink a couple betta pellets to the shrimp. I had a big ball of betta pellets clumped together and I sunk it for the shrimp. They carried it around and the next morning they were both dead. Not sure if they overate or not, but Bubba seemed a little sad that his mates passed. He's been in there alone now for about 3 weeks. He seems to survey the tank a lot more now instead of hanging at the top. Not sure if he's looking for his mates or if he's enjoying the solitary life now. Just asking if anyone thinks I should get new shrimp, or let him enjoy the tank to himself. He was never really violent with the shrimp, they all seemed to get along fine other than chasing each other occasionally.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Did you test water when shrimp died? One of the causes of shrimp death is bad water parameters. They are very sensitive. Even a bit of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate can kill them. I guess they couldn't finish the big chunk of pellets and possibly caused ammonia in the water. It's also possible that Bubba attacked them. I've read stories about a betta that had been getting along well with his tank mates for months, then all of the sudden he started harassing them.

In my opinion, Bubba is enjoying the bachelor life. Now there are no shrimp that he can explore the whole tank. I'd say "no tank mates, no stress."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. The water should be fine, I'm very adamant about keeping the water very clean. I usually change about a gallon or so every other day and bigger water changes every couple weeks. I test it quite often to keep it ammonia free. I really think I may have killed them with that big chunk of food. Bubba seems very passive, but maybe he's a sociopath and at night attacked them but I feel bad about the shrimp. He seems pretty happy in there and I'm sure he's not too bored. Maybe someday I'll upgrade his tank and give him mates again.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I agree that it's best to wait to get him tank mates until you get a bigger tank. When the tank is bigger, it's easier to keep stable water parameters.

Never heard of shrimp eating betta pellets. Over ate or something in them .
Yes they do. I have red cherry shrimp. When I feed my nano fish crashed micro pellets, they always swim up, hold on floating plants and get busy trying to catch the food.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts