Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering if I could keep a shrimp with my betta and snail. I searched around on here, and most shrimp got killed by the betas they were housed with, so I'm thinking that's not a good idea. I have a 1/2 gallon tank, so I was wondering if I could keep one or two shrimp in that? Any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Depends on the betta. A few years ago I had a few ghost shrimp with my cello vt and the shrimp were fine. If I tried to house shrimp with my new ct, I know 100% he would kill them all within 24 hours. Different bettas will display varying levels of aggression.

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
In a half gallon tank no. Unless you are doing 25% water changes on the tank every other day, the tank is too small for your betta and snail. If you add a shrimp, or worse yet, a few shrimp, to the tank then you are going to have too do water changes every day, to a couple times a day in order to keep the water clean. Also in order to keep shrimp your tank must be cycled and heavily planted.

If you want to have shrimp get a 5 gallon tank, at minimum. Have the tank cycled for at least one month, and heavily plant the tank. By heavily planted you need enough plants so that you cannot see from one side of the tank to the other when you look in it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In a half gallon tank no. Unless you are doing 25% water changes on the tank every other day, the tank is too small for your betta and snail. If you add a shrimp, or worse yet, a few shrimp, to the tank then you are going to have too do water changes every day, to a couple times a day in order to keep the water clean. Also in order to keep shrimp your tank must be cycled and heavily planted.

If you want to have shrimp get a 5 gallon tank, at minimum. Have the tank cycled for at least one month, and heavily plant the tank. By heavily planted you need enough plants so that you cannot see from one side of the tank to the other when you look in it.
The betta and snail are currently in a 5 gallon tank. Thanks for the info!

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Although it does happen very few *healthy* shrimp are killed by Betta. Shrimp need four things:

1. A Betta-safe place to molt when they are their most vulnerable;
2. A mature, stable tank that is six to eight weeks past an established cycle;
3. A heavily-planted tank;
4. Five or six companions....safety in numbers.

Most people don't provide all four and without them the shrimp stress and their immune systems become compromised. This makes them easy prey for a Betta; i.e., opportunity kills.

If you can provide all of the above you shouldn't have a problem with any number of shrimp in your five gallon. Never do water changes of more than 25% (most shrimp forum members say 10%) because shrimp are extremely sensitive to parameter shifts. Do not float them in a lighted tank; turn off the lights and leave them off for a minimum of an hour after release.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi,

I'd like to add an observation to the excellent advice from Russell's Mom. I have found that if you don't know how your Betta will react, start with a larger size of shrimp such as an Amano Shrimp (Caridina multidentata). They also have a big plus as they are excellent algae eaters and really do a great cleaning job.

Here is an excellent supplier and their site has a wealth of accurate information:

https://aquaticarts.com

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do all types of shrimp need to be part of a large group? I've been thinking about adding an amano shrimp to my 5 gallon in a few months, but I don't know that it would have room for 5 of them. The benefit to waiting for a mature aquarium is lots of time to rework the plan.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
IME, there's safety in numbers for any sort of prey animal. Remember, these guys are living in close proximity to a predator; especially in our smaller tanks. BTW, the shrimp don't have to be the same species and with Amano you could get two or three.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Do all types of shrimp need to be part of a large group?
It's not necessary to keep any of the common aquarium shrimp in a group. A single specimen is just fine.

Shrimp add very little bio-load so it would be possible to add considerably more. Helping to clean out decaying plant matter is a bigger plus than the detriment of the bio-loading.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks! I want it to work out for everyone. For now I'm working on "heavily planted." I think it must be getting close because I've already had a few mini heart attacks when the tank looked like my fish had jumped out. Nope, just exploring the plants.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
FWIW, my shrimp, except the filter feeders like Vampire and Bamboo, have always been more active when I had several. When, through attritrion, I wound up with only one their behavior was much less natural and they did a lot more hiding until I added more. That's why I don't recommend just one. As I said: Safety and security in numbers. I'm not saying just one won't work and lots of people do it. It's just my experience that more is better.

My current dread is over the Amano in the 20 long. Their average lifespan is 2-3 years and mine are approaching that age. :-( Larry and Marge, the Vampire Shrimp, were nearly four when they died. I'm following Lekoguy's advice and going to www.aquaticarts.com for my next Vampire.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts