Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sick baby betta that I purchased from Petco about a month and a half ago. She hasn't grown any since I got her and usually just sits at the bottom of her tank. She had stress stripes when I got her. They started to fade away at first, and her body started to grow and turn to a blueish shade. In the past two weeks her color has faded and her body is kind of see through. Her body is usually bent in a really unnatural looking way. She hasn't eaten in a couple of days. She doesn't even go after the food. This is my first betta fish in a long time (almost 10 years). I don't want to just let her die, and I definitely don't want to try giving her any kind of medication since I don't know what's wrong with her. I would rather give her to someone else that knows what they are doing and can properly take care of her and make her a happy little betta fish.

I would prefer to give her to someone in the Nashville, TN area. I have never shipped fish and I'm pretty sure she would die during that anyways.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Sounds like maybe SBD, but you can also try her on supplements, especially while you're waiting for her to go to a new home. Maybe a bit of orange peel in the tank or vitamin C will help...it's hard to say for sure...but if you do use human grade vitamin C, keep a sharp eye on the PH of the tank; since it is acidic, it will cause the PH to drop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought with Swim Bladder, they had a hard time swimming down? Her fins are really clamped (Like, they just look like little twigs sticking out from her body) and she just sits on the bottom of the tank.

If anyone wants her, please message me. She is free to a good home.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Swim bladder can be trouble swimming down, OR trouble swimming up. In their struggle to stay level, they can end up curved like that. Lower the water level (as long as you can keep it heated) and provide her plants to rest on...switch to live or frozen food if you are not feeding that already. Try soaking it in garlic juice to see if she'll take it - garlic drives them wild, and has health benefits as well.

Hopefully someone will take her.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to lower the water level and she was darting around her tank, slamming into the glass, plants, and decoration. I took out all of the decoration and plants so she wouldn't hurt herself on them.

The temperature in the tank is the same as it was before she started darting around. I haven't added food or anything different. I did a 50% water change last night, so the water should be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My poor baby betta passed away about an hour ago. :,c She was in a divided tank with an older betta for a while. I took her out when I noticed she was acting funny. Should I keep an eye on my other betta?

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Darting around can be a sign of parasites. If you see your older betta acting strangely, better make a thread on the disease and emergencies forum.

I'm sorry for your loss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.