Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I haven't been on here in a long time but now I have a sick betta and don't know how to help! He's pathetic :( not swimming and nt eating for maybe over a week

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 3
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 76.7
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? pinch once a day

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once every few weeks?
What percentage of water did you change? 50
What is the source of your water? tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? dip
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: I don't know, can't find any of my test tubes and strips at the moment!!!!!
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? about a week ago, maybe more (today is 9/11)
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? haven't noticed any
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? doesn't swim anymore, just lays around
Is your Betta still eating? no :(
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? since I can't find any strips or tubes to test the water, I have been doing daily 50% water changes with Prime and Stressguard for the past week
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? popeye
How long have you owned your Betta? year? less?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? not that i'm aware of (given to me by friend)
Purple Petal Violet Pink Plant

·
Super Moderator
1,354 Posts
It's hard to tell from the picture but he looks pretty thin to me. Can you get him some frozen bloodworms to try to entice him to eat. They are also a good choice because they are fatty. While you are at the pet store they could test the water for you. Ask them to give you exact numbers not just "fine."

The problem with dipping out the water is it doesn't get any of the gunk off the bottom. Even though you are doing daily water changes, the levels still might be high and causing him to be sick.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oohhh ok. Yes, he does look thin. I will try and find frozen bloodworms tomorrow thank you for that suggestion! I know I have test strips around here but if not I will try to find a petstore that does it. It's more difficult now that there are no more Petland's.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How's he doing now?
Hi! Thank you for asking. Still the same but I just came from the pet store armed with a fresh plant and live bloodworms (they were out of frozen). I took him out of his tank and moved him into a smaller one with 50%his water and 50%fresh with Prime and StressGuard. Gonna try giving him the worms now and pray he eats. I also didn't put on his light to reduce stress. I am waiting for the water test strips to arrive today and tomorrow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I received new test strips and used them. Everything seems to be normal except for ammonia which I couldn't tell if it was "alert" or "harmful" and that was the new water he is in. His old water came up "safe" so I don't understand

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just put on some light to give him some worms and he immediately swam up but ignored the works and then kinda swam spazzed swimming up and down. Laid at the bottom for a bit. Then went back up to get a worm, floated down with the worm in his mouth and sat like that for awhile until he finally ate it. Idk what to do.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Seems like he's in shock. my first boy died of temp shock. what is the water temp? It's possible that he's in shock from the sudden ammonia spike. try to get that down.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I was thinking the same thing....shock which affects the swim bladder....recovering from a swim bladder issue takes time. I would make sure he has something to rest on near the top of the tank. ( I experienced this with some fry during a water change.....) He might make a full recovery. I would feed him something with high protein but I would not feed him blood worms at every meal. He is a beautiful fish.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking the same thing....shock which affects the swim bladder....recovering from a swim bladder issue takes time. I would make sure he has something to rest on near the top of the tank. ( I experienced this with some fry during a water change.....) He might make a full recovery. I would feed him something with high protein but I would not feed him blood worms at every meal. He is a beautiful fish.
aw thanks! What else would you suggest to feed him? This is his tank, lots of plants to rest on and he has his betta log
Plant Green Organism Vegetation Grass

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just gave him some live black worms and I have frozen bloodworms too. I checked his ammonia level today and it looks like it's "safe", he ate some worms but is moving around like he's jerking his body. sigh

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
today his ammonia level was high so I did a water change (about 50%) and today the betta spa came which I added

Purple Liquid Human body Violet Pink

Water Plant Pet supply Underwater Aquatic plant

1 - 19 of 19 Posts