Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My betta has been sick for the last 2 days. He has a white cottony fuzz patch on his mouth. It started off only on one side but then progressed to surround mostly his whole mouth. I went to petco for medication but they only had bettafix. I am unsure whether or not my betta is suffering from columnaris (bacterial infection) vs saprolegnia (fungal infection). Ive used the bettafix and aquarium salt for 2 days now and as said before the sickness got worse and spread to his whole mouth. In addition, someone advised me to try ich medication. I also got Pimafix which is for fungal infections but am unsure if i should try this right away. Please help if you have had similar problems :((

These pictures show the progression of the sickness from day 1 to day 2

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tank size: old tank was 30 G and quarantine tank now 20G
Heater and filter: yes/yes
Tank temp: before kept at 79 F but in quarantine tank at 75 F
Parameters in tank: old tank had no alarming conditions based on test kits by API
Had my fish for almost a month and hes been sick for 2 days
I had him in a community tank: 5 cory cats, 1 pleco, 4 small ghost shrimp, 4 tetras, 4 mystery snails, 3 nerite snails
I would do water changes every week but realize i should have been doing more; i would replace about 60% of water in doing so
I feed my community almost every day except for fasting days where i would not feed them for 1-2 days
I have real plants, fluval plant substrate, small and tall plastic plants (not rough), sand, and small rocks alon with 2 decorations (1 tree looking decoration and 1 rock looking decoration)

·
Registered
Nebby (Nebula)
20 Posts
Weekly water changes should be enough when the tank is cycled and not too small (and when there are no other problems).
Have you introduced any new fish to the aquarium recently?
Do you have Indian almond leaves that you can add to his tank? It's probably not enough to cure him but it helps bettas relax.
I don't have enough experience to tell you what your betta has but hopefully someone else can help you. I hope he'll get better soon!

·
Super Moderator
21,867 Posts
Please copy and paste the form and answer all of the questions; even if you have answered elsewhere. This was to give us quick-reference to the most critical information instead of needing to parse through walls of text. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts